opus2761

Flipped Normal?

Hi, 

I imported a geo as alembic from Houdini to Maya, and realized that some of the faces have flipped normal (displayed as black). Here I am attaching a screen grab from Houdini with the normal display turned on. I am wondering why the faces with the flipped normal are not displaying as black in Houdini, and it seems to be rendering fine. The same geo doesn't render properly, however, after imported in Maya. How can I set the normal to the face so that all normals are facing outwards....? 

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! 

yc

normal.JPG

You can try dropping a Facet SOP with post compute normals ticked and then cusping as you see fit. There is also the Normal SOP which I think has the same end result but done differently internally. 

Best way is to use the new normal sop or a pwrangle. Something like v@n = @n x -1; for the wrong ones.

Hi Carlo and Follyx, 

Thank you very much for responding my post!! This geo is a complex geometric structure, and the flipped normal happened after a polyextrude operation with various iterations on the primitives. There are many areas that have flipped normal but I couldn't figure out a way to select / group those wrong faces. I was hoping for a magic node that could solve it all, and Facet is not it..... I will try to solve this with render. Thank you again! 

can you share the hip? facet sop recomputes all normales so that should actually fix it i guess

Also looking for a way to reverse only visible backfaces. I mean, you can see the backfaces, should be able to find a way to reverse them easily?

Hello Fake Pilot, would you mind sharing your scene file? I might be able to develop a workflow tailored to your needs.