Gatorade Commercial - Digital Domain

michael

Credit goes to Nikos Kalaitzdis at Digital Domain, and to Side Effects for incredible support on this! :D

The three major shatter shots are all done with DOPs and the RBD Solver. The marathon runner was pre-scored into over a thousand objects, the whole simulation utilising Glue bonds in the solver. The marathon runner was art directed to shatter in several discrete phases and the glue did the rest. The simulation ran in ~2 minutes a frame.

Great!

Two doubts, what is Glue?

And Jason can you advance more about DOPs, how they work? and how DOP's are integrated with the rest of Houdini, SOPs, POPs and CHOPs.

17557[/snapback]

RBD Objects in Houdini can be "Glued" together - that is, they will be considered a single entity until they experience the trauma of an impulse of a certain magnitude at which point they will split apart into seperate objects once more.

I think I'm allows to reveal that DOPs are their own context in Houdini and can exist under Objects or SOPs and can also contain other networks. In this way you can have several independant contexts in one scene. There are methods for populating and extracting objects to and from the DOPs context. A very powerful feature of this is that you can have one object your scene and DOPs can make any number of instances of it. You don't have to have one object per simulated object.

Thanks Jason, it seems to be very powerful.

Do you know when this new features will be ready for the comercial version ?

I'm very insterested in objects ruptures and fluids, will have Houdini any algorithm to calculate ruptures, not precalculated or using maps, instead an analitic way to get them. And fluids, have anybody tested fluids in Houdini yet?

Thanks

Thanks Jason, it seems to be very powerful.

Do you know when this new features will be ready for the comercial version ?

I'm very insterested in objects ruptures and fluids, will have Houdini any algorithm to calculate ruptures, not precalculated or using maps, instead an analitic way to get them. And fluids, have anybody tested fluids in Houdini yet?

As far as I know there is no official date yet for public beta or for release. SIGGRAPH seems to the overall plan and we can only surmise from past experience that Side Effects will allow an Apprentice version out a couple of months before then. This technique has worked succesfully for them in the past and I don't see why they wouldn't do it again.

just to add to that re: fluids...

I don't know for sure but I do recall during the demo that SESI had here a few months(?) ago that fluids were not expected to be in Houdini 8.....now having said that things could change (or have already changed) pretty quickly...

from what I've seen so far with DOPs is that SESI are being very careful to release features that actually work rather than a bunch of stuff that sounds cool on a feature list...DOPs is a Houdini context, and that means everything will have to work with everything else before its ready....

Good

With this stuff, i think that Houdini will be the most complete effects tool in the market. Only needs hair and fluid simulation to be the most complete tool.

another aspect in what i'm interesting is in compositing, will houdini 8 include new features for halo?, it's possible to advance some of these?

Good

With this stuff, i think that Houdini will be  the most complete effects tool in the market. Only needs hair and fluid simulation to be the most complete tool.

another aspect in what i'm interesting is in compositing, will houdini 8 include new features for halo?, it's possible to advance some of these?

17615[/snapback]

I'd like to see them introduce a new "TOPs2". Texture Ops. A paint node, layer nodes, a smattering of the procedural pattern generators found in VOPs and some of the filters found in COPs and you're set. 2 and 3D paint would be nice, then I'd never have to leave Houdini for anything. A paint program that incorparted some level of proceduralism and didn't ape Photoshop's interface could make some waves.

Guest Guest_seedbot_*

Great work! 2 minutes a frame for the sim is really good.

Does DOPs help you break-up the geometry into fractured

pieces or was that part done in another app?

As far as the directability, can you override a specific

broken chunk with keyframed animation in case the sim

does something wacky or the director does wants something wacky ; )

Great work! 2 minutes a frame for the sim is really good.

Does DOPs help you break-up the geometry into fractured

pieces or was that part done in another app?

The geometry was pre-shattered in Houdini using the Cookie SOP. However the "Glue" bonds can give the illusion of the model being progressively broken more and more as the objects experience more impacts.

As far as the directability, can you override a specific

broken chunk with keyframed animation in case the sim

does something wacky or the director does wants something wacky ; )

17644[/snapback]

In our case on this commercial we only needed intermediate control - phasing the breakup and exaggerating a component of the velocity that the chunks inherited from the deforming roto-animated mesh. The handoff from deforming meshes into rigid components is seamless, mind you - a very well written tool there. We exaggerated the forward velocity because the live camera panned faster than the natural speed of the simulation.

Overall the simulation was extremely well behaved - no chunks quivering on the ground and no pieces being shot off into oblivion as is the case with many RBD solvers. So we did not need to cull or override any pieces in the resultant sim. Overriding pieces is possible however, either during the simulation or processed after the simulation.