Challenge : Rubix Cube

was talking with stu today about his rubix cube...

we had the idea of a challenge...and frankly I think it's a very tough one, although I haven't spent much time thinking about it...

so here it is:

Build a working Rubix Cube.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Arctor,

I was thinking about our conversation earlier today and I think I found a flaw in our logic - there isn't a need to change the rotational origin based on whether or not the center row of "cubes" are being manipulated or not. The centre of the compound cube can always act as the rotational pivot point regardless as to which groups of smaller cubes are spinning.

stu

Nice challenge! :)

I won't have time to try it out, but it occurs to me that the challenge does not so much lie in setting up the mechanics of the thing (rotations, pivots, etc), which seems pretty straight forward, but in the fact that the definition of any given state is self-referencing (recursive) -- i.e: the current configuration (before any future rotations) of any one of the six panels of sub-cubes, depends exclusively on the cumulative effect of all previous rotations (exactly in the order that they were executed).

... Feedback and Composite CHOPs perhaps?...

Good luck everyone! :)

P.S: Check out this site <site removed, only spam lives there now>

I know there's one around here somewhere...

17637[/snapback]

Yep, I know ... I was meaning to do that when I found some time again.

PS. I'll wait for some more submissions before posting my file. Note that for each move, an extra RubiksRotate HDA is required so it's a bit of a cheat. But as you put down each one, you can scrub to see the animated result.

Note that for each move, an extra RubiksRotate HDA is required so it's a bit of a cheat.

Ah. I *thought* that's what you were doing from the picture you posted...

But since you've obviously thought about it at some length, any inkling as to whether the recursion can be dealt with at all? -- sorry; I guess that is a rhetorical question until all submissions are in :)

state = state + rotation;

...aye! ere's the rub...

Sorry. Can't help thinking about it from the sidelines :rolleyes:

Carry on.

:ph34r:

Building a working Rubix cube is a piece of cake. Making an animated Rubix cube solve itself is a piece of cake (though a bit of a kludge). Doing it in a single OTL seems to be a piece of cake. Idiot proofing the animation controls is the really, really difficult part.

I have a working cube, and two ideas for animation controls but I need help.

how can I search a group of channels for the last keyframe? How can I check to see if a channel is keyframed at a certain time? I haven't done much Hscript and right now this syntax in the chkey help has me dumbfounded.

geo*/t?

I have a headache.

post-257-1114067077_thumb.jpg

how can I search a group of channels for the last keyframe? How can I check to see if a channel is keyframed at a certain time? I haven't done much Hscript and right now this syntax in the chkey help has me dumbfounded.

post-257-1114067077_thumb.jpg

17650[/snapback]

Cool looking cube. :) In H7, there's very limited abilities to query keyframe animation. In H8, there's chkeyget and chkeyls hscript commands. I avoid this by having separate rotate OTLs that keep track of their animation lengths in a detail attribute that gets incremented.