See This?

Guest xionmark
Fantastic - it should be only you, me, Marc, Arctor. I'm just not 100% I set it up correctly.

17935[/snapback]

Cool.

I started looking over the source code for real tonight, I'm starting to understand more about how this is going to work. I just got to get the damn Maxwell ROP out of my court (which shouldn't be too much longer) than I can focus on the ODE implementation.

--Mark

Guest xionmark
How is the Maxwell thing? Whats it like?

17940[/snapback]

Well, it looks promising but I haven't actually got a working MXS file out of the ROP yet, I still have a bit more work to do to get the shader strings from the Maxwell SHOPs.

Overall I think it'll be OK but as for real production use it's got a long way to go ... personally I just can't see any renderer without programmable shaders being all that useful ... I'm starting to turn my attention to Mental Ray, gotta dive into CG hard core now that I've escaped from the Arizona university *system* (AKA mental prison). <_<

--Mark

Ah no, not really.

This is a limited exposure forum (for now) for the open-source ODE DOP Solver that we're trying to coordinate. I started with it off, and Mark Story and anyone else who wants to contribute can pick it up or talk about it. It's so raw right now that we haven't parcelled it up or anything.

Know anyone who wants to contribute?

...hmmm...

as soon as I figure out what the hell an ODE Solver is I'll get back to you :)

17950[/snapback]

Ha ha -yes, well - it's an opensource RBD solver that as a side project we decided to implement into DOPs. It's used in game engines and is meant to be pretty good at solving bounding objects pretty quickly.

ODE Webpage

couple of questions:

1) has anyone had ago with XSI's dynamics?...comments

2) what would this give Houdini that isn't already on the table from SESI?

17958[/snapback]

1) nope, not me. never really seen it in action

2) a choice. or really - just because sometimes a simplistic bounding box is good enough. and it was meant to be a fun challenge for me and trying to understand the DOPs architecture from within. SESI's seems to be far superior in quality - ODE wouldn't handle objects all overlapping like what would happen with bounding objects in the Gatorade commercial - at least I think it wont.

ah...a masochistic side project eh?...wierdo...

I think it might be cool to know that depending on the shot you can use DOPs but switch over to a simpiler/faster solver if you know that you don't need all the features of the RBD solver.

Guest xionmark
ah...a masochistic side project eh?...wierdo...

17961[/snapback]

Yes, this is a serious afflication I have ... :ph34r:

--Mark