Unofficial Houdini Discord server

Guest nodeway

There's still some great interactions to be had on Discord. But I find it more useful to visit once every few days for a catch up and ensure I'm alerted to any conversation continuity on threads I've started. I'm not a fan of chat clients in general but have to use Slack for client communications so I've developed an otherwise useless skill of scanning the wheat from the chat trash.

I really feel for Matt Estella. What a time suck moderating the Discord masses must be. But as ever he soldiers on with his glass half full generous spirit. He should be knighted for services to the Houdini community. :) 

Yeah, big shoutout to Matt, Toadstorm, Eetu and the other major contributors.

Matt navigating that "women in CG" discussion without killing anybody was a sight to behold, way above my Zen-level...  bowdown.gif.4f173a66bb1b8ee798e02a1eb9d52e8f.gifbowdown.gif.4f173a66bb1b8ee798e02a1eb9d52e8f.gifbowdown.gif.4f173a66bb1b8ee798e02a1eb9d52e8f.gif

For me it's mainly two kinds of people who, if too vocal, make me want to be somewhere else:

- The ones unable to not-comment on pretty much everything with rather extreme opinions 24/7.
- The ones too stupid, lazy, bored, negative or otherwise non-functional to get anywhere and then blaming that on the rest of the world. Having no time to watch tutorials but having all the time in the world to spam discord.

Since I'm happy to have a discussion myself and am easily baited/distracted/irritated, I can only take the "somewhere else" route, since even just scrolling over the replies of the sane people while hunting for the good stuff for my own learning gives me a bad mood. ;-)

I co-moderated an audio related forum for a long time so I know a lot about the complicated balance of things, but something like discord makes it even harder compared to a forum since it's all linear in one long stream and stupid stuff is harder to just ignore/sift through.

And just to make that clear - I'm not complaining one bit about the moderators, I just realise that growing older also makes one more selective about time and the company it's spent in. I had some amazing chats on discord, but recently it felt a bit like that very noisy restaurant where you feel exhausted after 5 minutes just from sitting there.

So again, thanks to all the wonderful contributors here and on discord - you guys'n gals are a big part of what makes Houdini so awesome! :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Thomas Helzle

@Thomas Helzle
I don't know if its your first time in a Group IM (instant messaging) system, but with >1000 it is bound to have more noise than a forum.
I use both forums and discord servers for the things I use. They have different purposes and pros and cons.
- Forums will give you slower feedback but usually more polished. Their contents are hit by search engines, which makes them perfect to leave breadcrumbs to the next people exploring such topics.
- Group IM will give you faster feedback but also more noise to filter, because there is no "thread" system, so no hard topic to respect or filter by. Well, and at least discord has channels, in skype it's the true mess.

17 hours ago, Thomas Helzle said:

For me it's mainly two kinds of people who, if too vocal, make me want to be somewhere else:

- The ones unable to not-comment on pretty much everything with rather extreme opinions 24/7.
- The ones too stupid, lazy, bored, negative or otherwise non-functional to get anywhere and then blaming that on the rest of the world. Having no time to watch tutorials but having all the time in the world to spam discord.

Everyone has soft-spots. I for one have hard time with people that don't confront what they think it's wrong or at least report appropriately but then make a public display of dumping their discontent about nothing in specific. There's a #mod_report channel with the purpose of anyone that sees bad conduct to notify the mod team about it. Thanks to Cloaks. Please use it by typing anywhere:
!report @username reason

Cheers

Edited by probiner
  • Like 1

@probiner Interesting - that wasn't the intent. I was more talking about myself and what triggers me. I don't feel the urge to police a platform that is in it's basic setup and workings not ideal for me. If that in turn feels like complaining I'm sorry.

And yes, it's my first - and probably last - time in this kind of system.

I leave Discord to the more robust souls out there :-)

Cheers,

Tom

I wish there was a more automated way to brush of the noise and tag and archive some discussions/hipFiles to the the side and have them hit by search engines. Sometimes I see great things being shared but I know only a small group of people will see it and 3 days forward it will be buried under thousands of chat lines.

Edited by probiner

19 hours ago, toadstorm said:

If I can get the reaction API working reliably, we could maybe introduce a "best of" emoji that would archive especially good posts to a read-only channel or some other container (like the vault) if they get enough votes. This would allow for a quick rundown of the best content for people that aren't as directly involved in the day to day discussion. I just need a little free time to play around with the bot code...

This sounds great. The pinned post feature is working well too so this in combination would create an ace experience for members that pass by on a more intermittent basis.

• 4 weeks later...