Animated granular sheed

Hans Peter

Hi, 

I was searching for a better way to simulate cloth like sails or flags and ended up using the grain solver. It gives me some pretty nice results compared to FEM. I also can pin some points down with a mass attribute but can't pin the stuff to an animated object. Any idea how to do this? 

Ya - still looks not crash hot - Marvellous Designer eats this windy cloth for breakfast.

on the topic of cloth; I looked around the web and FEM cloth can look good, but Houdini implementation is lacking speed in for the collisions that allows us to tweak it well.

nope - sadly no one uses Houdini cloth. They did, back in <H12.5 but since it change to FEM it has lost features and speed. I'm not wanting to use MD, just have to.

Yup , we know, we all know. Unfortunately SideFx are being a bit like Apple in this regards and haven't indicated any solution to our needs. Best to just use what works.

Still can't believe this. Such easy stuff.. Probably a good idea to use another software for cloth but when I have a procedural setup with a lot of iterations it would be just annoying to constantly export/import. So with my ocean scene the ship is following procedurally the ocean shape and the cloth is accondingly adjusting itself. No way I'm going to export the animation each time again. Well, crossed fingers for H16. 

How much I wish they wouldn't be looking so freaking rigit; like plastic deformations :D 

It shouldn't be long till H16 gets released, I guess. Any idea how that could happen? Somewhere february? Very excited about it. 

How long would it take to setup a good cloth sim for about 8 sails with marvelous? 

un2.jpg

Edited by Heraklit

34 minutes ago, Heraklit said:

How long would it take to setup a good cloth sim for about 8 sails with marvelous? 

I'm not sure exactly but I made a tent blowing in the wind at the speed at of thought. Normal creative flow speed, once you get the interface sorted - you can get a month or so demo from their site. MD doesn't work on macOs sierra currently so I can't do any tests.

@Heraklit never understood the price problem thing when people are buying C4D for $4K isn't it? You can always download the Bullet3 source files and compile for free; it's realtime on the GPU. Not sure if you can export though. Use Blender if price is an issue. Free good looking cloth :)

Well, C4D is an allrounder app which pays my bills ;) Not a lot agencies asking for marvelous here. Look at realflow...2000€ just for fluids? I can get a great fluid tool with houdini indie if I want to. Also it gives you all the other good stuff like particles, fracturing etc. So its worth looking at other solutions and not pay every price. I didn't buy x-particles or turbulencefd or whatever, because I just don't have to pay 2000 bugs when I can get everything for 200. 

Edited by Heraklit

Yeah - but MD + Indie = $560 /year - still way cheaper than C4D. You can then add specialized modelling apps like ZBrush, Mo3d, Modo Indie or Blender and it's still cheaper than C4D.