Houdini 17 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

18 hours ago, kev2 said:

And, from Magee's talk, two new contexts, LOPs and TOPs, next year. 

what's the timestamp? Had a listen but must have missed it.

On 08/08/2017 at 9:47 AM, malexander said:

Before VEX Houdini had TOPs, which were Texture OPs. But the new TOPs is not a reincarnation of them. Try again ;)

TOPs = Topology Ops based on the photogrammetry push mentioned in the games vimeo and where SOPs 2.0 with looping and compiling will be properly unified.

LOPs = LookDev Ops - GPU based rendering and texturing.  

EDIT 2: my second guess is TOPs is procedural textures in the viewport - this will be the same mechanism to make the thumbnails too

Edited by tar

TOPs = Texel Operators. SOPs based, like DOPs. Fast texel-wise texture manipulation, painting and projection; new real-time texture generation workflow replacing render-time texture baking. Texels use optimized data structure and work faster than using dense meshes.

tops_texture_paint.gif.bc97890f26fb31f1741bc6be5c3a9f3e.giftops_texture_project.gif.ee733b7477c690ab5cc0bb7c03711486.gif

• Like 6

9 hours ago, ikoon said:

I would like the Animation Editor to be able to show multiple separate channels, as the Motion FX View can. Each with its own vertical scale homing:

That sounds like the icon, 8th from left. 3 little graphs

Screenshot from 2017-08-09 05-41-55.png

Edited by tar

23 hours ago, malexander said:

Before VEX Houdini had TOPs, which were Texture OPs. But the new TOPs is not a reincarnation of them. Try again ;)

Ohh noo more guessing.... :blink: hmm whats needs a new OP's structure and starts with T..... what the heck could it be in the CG / Film / Game branch??? #BrainNeedsMoreBeer

EDIT:

LOP => L***'s

TOP => Track

I have the feeling i found the LOP but the TOP's is still not 100%. But when it's also that then i think it is... awesome...

Edited by Mandrake0

On 8/8/2017 at 0:24 AM, marty said:

TOPs = Topology Ops based on the photogrammetry push mentioned in the games vimeo and where SOPs 2.0 with looping and compiling will be properly unified.

LOPs = LookDev Ops - GPU based rendering and texturing.  

Sure about the GPU part?

6 hours ago, Erik_JE said:

Sure about the GPU part?

Every major renderer has some GPU part, there is no way Mantra wont at some point. Even Houdini itself is essentially being sped up by OpenCL GPU!

Edited by tar

3 hours ago, marty said:

Every major renderer has some GPU part, there is no way Mantra wont at some point. Even Houdini itself is essentially being sped up by OpenCL GPU!

Yeah I know they have been talking about it and we bug them every time they visit. Just wondered if they maybe had confirmed it somewhere.

21 minutes ago, Erik_JE said:

Yeah I know they have been talking about it and we bug them every time they visit. Just wondered if they maybe had confirmed it somewhere.

Nothing confirmed but Christan at the H16 launch event "we'll talk big time lighting next year, eh" whilst on the LookDev slide. Not sure what else LOPs could be but Mantra with GPU acceleration.  thoughts?

Edited by tar

I've chosen some good in my opinion.

Almost all in Ben's first message @LaidlawFX

Make it full Qt app. ;)  @Stalkerx777

more OpenCL support and nice Nuke-like value editing from @marty

And As @Thomas Helzle proposed.
I've been dreaming about VEX Editor for a long time.  If only one guy did it why a big company can't? He has a wonderful editor for Python too.

Also, I know that at least two big company have fluid and pyro simulation based on vdb. Why don't sidefx implement it too? isn't it faster?
Thanks

Edited by Deviner

Each Scene View could have "SOP Source" setting, to either show the SOPs with the display or the render flags.

Then you could have two Scene Views:
- "final", set to /obj level, viewing results through camera, render flags
- "working", classic as it is now, view the display flag, work inside the structure