Houdini 17 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

Welcome to the forum Dixon.

1 hour ago, The xon said:

I agree with everything except this, a unified node context is  a very bad idea.

the number of sops(vops or even dops)is very intimidating as is,having them all in one place would just be too clustered,

i imagine wanting certain sop,and having  a million nodes to scroll through,...

plus if i want a file dop,how do i specify i want a file dop and not a file sop or a file chop?.....nuh let the different context stay different

No worries the wishlist, is just a wishlist. ;) Submit RFEs, or BUGs directly to SideFX. 

Eitherway like I said you can keep the old contexts, and you can certainly use managers for context specific nodes, for those who prefer that work flow. Not all of us can handle change :P

There are plethora of ways of handling these issues as handles in different nodal packages, nuke, substance, and several other proprietary packages. Most of it is just based in good UX design. Also SideFX needs to clean up a lot of their 1600+ nodes. There are many duplicate nodes the age old blast sop and delete sop issue, and especially when you account for all the contexts so say null obj and transform sop. They have merged contexts in the past like pops to dops, and shops and shop/vops to material. Also you can just color the connecting wires, and node differently so that is obvious what wires into what. Plus add some subtle shapes for each context. You can add apiece of info to each wire to define the context, that way in your case with file node you can have one file node that is aware of it's context already. So if a file nodes is connected to a sop context it just shows the sop specific options just like the visibility settings. If you are tabbing from an output of a node from the previous context then you just show the nodes that can actually connect to it. Additionally you can have a more advanced tab menu options, like a circular menu, where the first radial is the context for those using mouse, and for those typing the name it be the same. Maybe additionally add splash of color to the tab menu for each context. The current drop down menu tab as far as UX design already fails when you get to sops, dops, and vops if you are scrolling the wheel in ALL it's already too many options, so they design could already use an overhaul. The viewport Radial menu http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/basics/radialmenus.html are already a step in the right direction. Still needing a lot more love, but in the correct general direction. Especially with all the verbification of nodes, this strips out the underlying code from their materialistic surface level detail of the node making it easier to do.

• Like 1

I really really really wish the ability to override viewport display (I mean "wireframe", "smooth wire shaded", etc) by object like in the tab "Render" with the parameter "Display As" on an object node.

Actually the combo "set display options for" with "use" in "Display Options" is not suitable when we need to maintain a set of objects in a specific display mode whatever viewport shading is set.

• Thanks 1

I wish the Font object displayed what the actual fonts look like in the drop down list. Or give me some up/down arrow to quickly move through the list. It is such a pain when looking for fonts. I end up using another app just for that task.

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

Maybe the new contexts could be:
TOPs - Texture Operators (compete with Substance Painter and Mari) because we already have MATs which competes with Substance Designer.
LOPs - Lighting Operators (compete with Katana and Maya). Possibly the Lights and Cameras will be moved to LOPs.

The guys who want the unified context in Houdini. Please keep those ideas to yourself because it's never gonna happen because it will make Houdini a mess.

Edited by koanix5
  • Like 1

Just now, pusat said:

Yes let's just censor any views that opposes yours :rolleyes:

It's not about what ideas opposes mine..... but rather the thing that will take Houdini downhill and messy. Already the nodes in MATs context are a mess (too many) and you want all of the other context to unify? And not to mention that 2 new ones are coming this time. So, imagine how many nodes there will be even after filtering them out (Like combining the Wrangle nodes etc...). Not to mention that filtering them also takes some computing power... The reason why every node in Nuke is in a single context is because they are not too many to begin with as well as they are connected to each other and don't have their own deep networks such VOPs etc.

7 minutes ago, koanix5 said:

unify? And not to mention that 2 new ones are coming this time. So,

Oh, right, I remember that now, there was a guessing game about what they could be on odforce too I think. Thanks.

1) The chance to copy/drag parameters between interfaces (maybe holding down a key to avoid some unwanted drags?) for a faster workflow would be awesome. Maybe another key combination to rename on the fly label names?

2)

On 3/11/2018 at 9:39 PM, bobc4d said:

I would like to see some Mograph type tools.  I know Rohan Dalvi created some, still it would be nice to have them native inside Houdini

I come from a c4d background, I was using mograph a lot... IMAO I think is way better to construct a proper network (and maybe save some custom assets?) to build up an "houdini mograph tool" ... you can build it up in thousand ways as Dalvi shows, you got way more power to customize it in the houdini procedural way !! 

3) Unified Houdini networks? no thanks!! ; )

cheers!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, majinpu said:

1) The chance to copy/drag parameters between interfaces (maybe holding down a key to avoid some unwanted drags?) for a faster workflow would be awesome. Maybe another key combination to rename on the fly label names?

2)

I come from a c4d background, I was using mograph a lot... IMAO I think is way better to construct a proper network (and maybe save some custom assets?) to build up an "houdini mograph tool" ... you can build it up in thousand ways as Dalvi shows, you got way more power to customize it in the houdini procedural way !! 

3) Unified Houdini networks? no thanks!! ; )

cheers!

I have only been using Houdini about 4 months now and am still trying to wrap my head around it but is starting to come together . . . . slowly. I like the idea of a mograph tool, it is intriguing. 

hi there.

easy way to change Pivot position in cop level
import export .mov on cop level
make rope node include the chop audio file. to be exported  in cop level
allow me rotate xyz in cop level
gpu mantra
3d texturing inside houdini
make select certain font more easier 
add more transitions for wipe node in cop level
make cop more effeciant and fast
add turn page node, stable node, shine node, light sweep node, particle node, matchmove node,  to cop
make rotoshape able to be copy and paste in another group in the same node

• Like 1

@Mr. BalashForget about matchmove node, particle node and other important compositing nodes found in Nuke, Fusion etc. because Mr. Cristin Barghiel said that they have no plans to develop a full fledged compositor like Nuke. This is what he said to me on email when I asked and suggested a few things:
"As to compositing, I can confirm that we have no plans to develop a full-fledged application like Nuke."

ALLOW using Principle shader inside vopattribute node, that will be a huge change, and simplify moving between networks

maintain COP, because it realy need more efforts.
- allow exporting .mov in Cop network
- allow exporting Chop included to final render in Cop Network, this is very useful.
- allow drag and drop.
- give the Font node up and down arrow so it will be easy moving between fonts.
- add a library tab inside Houdini full of Material's, Hdri's, Camera's, Enviroment's, Sea's, . . . 
- add a shortcut for adding nodes, like press T to add transform node  . . . 
- let the node to be autoconnected to the previous node
-  let us add a random network box for certain nodes, i mean a beautiful selection not sqaier one.
- add turn page node, stable node, shine node, light sweep node, particle node, matchmove node,  to cop.
-  easy way to change Pivot position in cop.
- make rotoshape light and effective.

On 28.3.2018 at 8:26 AM, koanix5 said:

@Mr. BalashForget about matchmove node, particle node and other important compositing nodes found in Nuke, Fusion etc. because Mr. Cristin Barghiel said that they have no plans to develop a full fledged compositor like Nuke. This is what he said to me on email when I asked and suggested a few things:
"As to compositing, I can confirm that we have no plans to develop a full-fledged application like Nuke."

That means just they dont develop a 100% comparable compositing app like nuke. But they dont have to even 50-60% of the functions are needed to reach >95% of customers. So im sure they will add some new stuff.  

I am not sure if there is a demand for it yet but they can add 3 more buttons for the individual extraction of the Pre-Transform. I am no expert in rigging but it could improve the usuability to set up rigs.

- Extract the Pre-transform for the position

- Extract the Pre-transform for the rotation

- Extract the Pre-transform for the scale

My second wish is to get improved cloth tools.

Edited by lelo
  • Like 1