Houdini 17 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

2 hours ago, sasbom said:

holy guacamoly thanks a million. This is great!
Now, and sorry for being a ultra-noob here,where can I see this console?
I've tried looking for something like that but I can't find it :c

Normally it should open the console the first time it prints anything, if you are printing from a wrangle, make sure your code is actually executed, like by making sure you have input points, in case you are running over points for example.

Otherwise it may also print it to the (python) shell, so maybe try to restart houdini with a different desktop to make sure it isn't open already, so it should open when you try to print your first thing..

Also, from a dutch swamp ey..? me too :D

On 6/28/2018 at 1:34 AM, acey195 said:

Normally it should open the console the first time it prints anything, if you are printing from a wrangle, make sure your code is actually executed, like by making sure you have input points, in case you are running over points for example.

Otherwise it may also print it to the (python) shell, so maybe try to restart houdini with a different desktop to make sure it isn't open already, so it should open when you try to print your first thing..

Also, from a dutch swamp ey..? me too :D

Nice! Allright, that explains why I couldn't find it.

What a coincedence! I hope you'll be able to survive yet another brooding, hot summer :|
blegh

One little bug that's been bothering me recently is when you copy a parameter and 'paste relative reference' into a wrangle. If you have an empty wrangle then it's fine, but if you already had code there, it replaces it all with the channel expression, rather than just pasting it into the code. Just a small thing really, but it would be cool to see it fixed :)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Stephen Moroz said:

One little bug that's been bothering me recently is when you copy a parameter and 'paste relative reference' into a wrangle. If you have an empty wrangle then it's fine, but if you already had code there, it replaces it all with the channel expression, rather than just pasting it into the code. Just a small thing really, but it would be cool to see it fixed :)

That is certainly an annoying one.

At this point i only wish for H17.0 an accelerated GPU FEM solver. With all functionality and stable. Or at least, an much faster CPU FEM using fully the multi-thread capabilities of  AMD Threadripper processor.

all the other things can wait, already good enough. But SESI never stops, and all improvements are very welcomed. :)

there are a multitude of research on this since 2011 (http://www.web.uwa.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/1524848/Finite-Element-Method.pdf)

anyway, finger crossed! ;)

PS: i really do not like to fake things with PBD/Grains only for speed, where FEM is much more precise/realistic ...

Edited by rod.vfx.td
  • Like 3

That would be nice to have a GLSL context / material builder inside the MAT context and

- be able to create GLSL shaders directly with VOP/Snippets like node 

- have main houdini VEX function translated to GLSL with an equivalence for the principal noise (alligator, perlin, simplex ...)

- to have houdini shaders build with a concatenation of a VEX context and a GLSL context could be cool , Thus VEX procedural operation could be dsiplay directly in the viewport (gl_displacement for ex)

- in other word GLSL is not a black box anymore where you can just plug map or use preconnected att you have all the power at your disposal directly by entering in the new GLSL context

Something like maya shaderfx, but in a cleaner way and with an equivalence beetween Viewport (GL) and Rendered (VEX) shaders.

Translate the GLSL network of the Houdini viewport preview to a UE4/Unity network directly would be ice on cake.

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 1

Just to throw my $.02 — I wish Houdini documents had a similar preview graphic as C4D documents do. It can be a huge time saver when trying to figure out which file is which. This is what it looks like in OS X, I assume C4D for Windows creates a similar preview but I'm not sure:

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 12.28.51 AM.png

Take finally "Houdini VEX Editor" and integrate F** autocompletion. It's shame, still don't have a such basic functions for coding in H16.

Edited by fencer
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, fencer said:

Take finally "Houdini VEX Editor" and integrate F** autocompletion. It's shame, still don't have a such basic functions for coding in H16.

Maybe a LSP implementation could help? With a LSP you can use alot of Editors and get all the benefits of a full featured code editor.

https://microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/

Thanks Mandrake0, one good option was "pw_VEX_Editor" (https://github.com/paulwinex/pw_Houdini_VEX_Editor) but unfortunatly it stopped working in 16.5 for me.
I would like to see native solution for that, and I just don't understant why we still don't have it.

My wish is for SideFx to really fix the plethora of viewport problems. A lot of them are related to instancing but other times I will turn off all Display flags and still see something in the viewport. When I restart Houdini, viewport operation is restored.

Lip synch for the yet to be invented face rig. I want to be able to submit a wave file and the text that the wave file is speaking and have my character talk.

As long as we are on character work, I would also like hand gestures, or a way to control the entire hand from a super controller.

Cloth should be upgraded to the 21st century. We need multi-threaded cloth and it needs to support more than a few stitch constraints. If I try to sew a modest garment with more than three stitches Houdini can't handle it very well.

Edited by Atom

Another small thing would be the ability to name flipbooks in the flipbook sequence list. By default, they are all named "Flipbook Images", which you can change, but they all reset when you do a new flipbook or when you close and open the list. The ability to give all you sequences a name and perhaps a comment would be incredibly handy when comparing different sims.

However there might be a way of doing this that I am unaware of, so please correct me if it's actually possible!

• Like 1

The ability to create New Operator Type... code nodes from HOM.

It is a little bit rise of the machine to allow python to create python nodes. I didn't realize we couldn't and it be nice to wrap all HDA creations under similar script.

These types of HDAs: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/hom/pythonsop.html 

Also allow the menu creation of those HDAs to be put in the same asset section as the rest of the HDA creation scripts.

I would love a "Scene assembly Context" where we can manage graphically our scene top to bottom ROP included

A context where we can easily see it all just like what's doing "Clarisse Builder"

Edited by NNois

9 hours ago, NNois said:

I would love a "Scene assembly Context" where we can manage graphically our scene top to bottom ROP included

A context where we can easily see it all just like what's doing "Clarisse Builder"

-1 o this! No Thanks! (this is just IMHO)

This is not really more useful than what we already have...
A "scene map" is much more interesting to have, where we can see all relations at scene level, "scene assembly" is nothing more than a ICE with exploded nodes! ;)

...and Houdini is much, much, much more advanced and robust than Clarisse. Easy to clutter interface if not take very careful new UI ideas, only because "looks good" in other softwares.

Edited by rod.vfx.td

9 hours ago, NNois said:

Well I meant more a superseded version of the bundle / takes / rop / stylesheet. Actually it’s so error prone and technical...

In this regard I agree on this. This is the Katana realm. While you can make Houdini Obj network work like this with a bit of a pipeline team, it be better if it came out of the box a little more fleshed out. This is actually a known series of RFEs.

• Thanks 1