Houdini 17 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

1 minute ago, mapra said:

- Would be cool if the color picker lets you quickly pick color from wherever you want on your screens, like from a picture in the browser or other software.

It is possible to pick colors outside of Houdini, MMB and drag the colour "preview rectangle" https://houdinitricks.com/sample-colors-outside-of-houdini/

On 8/30/2018 at 8:28 AM, CinnamonMetal said:

Nodes that have side connections.  One can connect a parameter, typically a null and not have the parameter null isolated on it's own within the network view.

That's a very interesting idea. I would love to see something like that, Drive attributes/parameters with nodes usually found in attribute vops without having to bind/promote them. 

Also maybe an Instance system for nodes... it could reduce the wires clutter.

Edited by nisachar
correction

I wish that having Houdini open on my laptop would not be such a power drain on my battery.

I know it has nothing to do with normal Houdini operation. I can watch a few movies and my battery is good, however, trying to look something up in Houdini and having it on in the background is a death knell to my battery. 

15 hours ago, LaidlawFX said:

I wish that having Houdini open on my laptop would not be such a power drain on my battery.

I know it has nothing to do with normal Houdini operation. I can watch a few movies and my battery is good, however, trying to look something up in Houdini and having it on in the background is a death knell to my battery. 

On my machine I can r.click an app and choose 'run with graphics processor' and choose either the battery sipping intel gpu, or the fancy nvidia processor. Not sure if that's a max-q specific feature, or common to all laptops that have a choice of nvidia gpu or integrated graphics.

On 9/1/2018 at 12:01 PM, nisachar said:

That's a very interesting idea. I would love to see something like that, Drive attributes/parameters with nodes usually found in attribute sops without having to bind/promote them. 

Also maybe an Instance system for nodes... it could reduce the wires clutter.

+ 1 on Instance nodes, with overrides, of couse! :)

other feature request:

*when moving nodes to other hierarchies, please make Houdini ask user if need update expression links to point to new locations!!! Is very important feature who Houdini don't have.

Edited by rod.vfx.td

On 8/30/2018 at 4:58 AM, CinnamonMetal said:

Nodes that have side connections.  One can connect a parameter, typically a null and not have the parameter null isolated on it's own within the network view.

This would be excellent for the Add Spare Input structure for compile blocks.

8 hours ago, CinnamonMetal said:

I hope Polydraw lives up to it's expectations as I'm looking for a traditional modeling package. Although skeptical of Modo and I don't want a full blown package such as Maya strictly for modeling.  

Cinema4D is a really good modeling package, intuitive interface and it has PolyPen tool which you can model with. but it entry price is high: Prime is $1,000 USD, the annual service agreement is $250, with that you get next version of C4D free and subscription to Cineversity.  you do not have to pay this but you get hit hard ($$$) if you skip a year or two and want to upgrade; you can d/l demo and use it for 45 days, after that no saves

Blender is good and it is FREE but I've heard not so good things about its user interface

if you are a student,m you might look around, some packages offer a really good price for students.

Blender is good and it is FREE but I've heard not so good things about its user interface

Blender one of the best tools for polymodeling i've ever used (expecially with some addons like retopoflow or hardops). I even know several exModo users who droped Modo Because they're fully switched to blender.

Speaking about Interface... It's funny thing but Blender interface is similar to what we got in Houdini in many ways . And I personally like it.

So it seems that people who are complaning about interface in blender never seen Houdini. Because with the same tastes applied Houdini should be considered as the program with worst interface ever. Only actual problem with blender interface in my opinion is the fact that it is just diffrent from maya. Hokeys and so on.

19 hours ago, Lutojar said:

Speaking about Interface... It's funny thing but Blender interface is similar to what we got in Houdini in many ways . And I personally like it.

So it seems that people who are complaning about interface in blender never seen Houdini. Because with the same tastes applied Houdini should be considered as the program with worst interface ever. Only actual problem with blender interface in my opinion is the fact that it is just diffrent from maya. Hokeys and so on.

The worst thing is shortcuts, navigation and stuff like that. Yeah, I know you can basically redo it completely after spending an hour or two in settings, but damn the original settings are beyond idiotic and they are loosing a lot of newbies because of it. You open the program and the LM button sets weird 3D cursor what is not like any other 3D soft, the selection is on RM button (I know no one who isn't switching it back in Blender) and so on and so on. Blender is AMAZING, but it's biggest problem I'd say in default settings. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...