Hdk Basics

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, edward.

Now I need to get the node's name. That is - I need to get the name of the Node that is created in the network viewer - not an arbotary node - but the node that I first compiled - and then create that node on Houdini. Is there a way to make a variable in the node's code (e.g. my_sop) that will get the name of the node as soon as the node is created in Houdini? (e.g. my_sop1, my_sop2, my_sop3, etc..)

I think that must deal with OP Node.h somehow, but not sure about that.

thanks.

Thank you, edward.

Is there a way to make a variable in the node's code (e.g. my_sop) that will get the name of the node as soon as the node is created in Houdini? (e.g. my_sop1, my_sop2, my_sop3, etc..)

20564[/snapback]

You might be able to do what you want with a Creation script. This is a snippet of hscript that gets run when particular node is created. Is that what you want? I'm pretty sure this is documented in the Houdini docs.

...  Is there a way to make a variable in the node's code (e.g. my_sop) that will get the name of the node as soon as the node is created in Houdini? (e.g. my_sop1, my_sop2, my_sop3, etc..).

20564[/snapback]

Depending on where you need it, you have access to getName() from your cook method. It returns a UT_String which can be cast to a (const char *) if needed. I would avoid using or caching this method's result in the constructor, because by the time the node is constructed, I don't believe it has its correct name set yet.

Hope that helps.

George.

Depending on where you need it, you have access to getName() from your cook method.  It returns a UT_String which can be cast to a (const char *) if needed.  I would avoid using or caching this method's result in the constructor, because by the time the node is constructed, I don't believe it has its correct name set yet.

Hope that helps.

George.

20594[/snapback]

Thanks, George. That's almost what I need. I do understand that the user may decide to change the node's name - but I think it's ok for the project I am currently working on.

Thank you, Jason, for your reply. Your suggestion is slightly different from what I need, but it can aslo be valuable.