HowZow

Heloo, i'm new to Houdini and the goal is to get guides from the masters in here into the world of Houdini awesomeness.

The concept is to get those two round spheres to swing from a higher angle and smash the text into smithereens, then, texture, light and render the project. At the moment i'm stuck at the modeling phase because i don't know how to model a procedural chain and attach it to the sphere so it becomes an asset so dynamics can be added to it. and i dont want to model it the old way, so now i need help on getting the chains done

production-logo.jpg

Thank you. i've learnt a lot from your project about the resample, sweep, skin, and merge nodes.

Using this knowledge, i connected the [torus and curve] nodes to the [sweep] node. However, it's not yet sufficiently procedural.

i am beginning to see how Houdini thinking is different and more advanced, there are many ways to do one thing

i still need answers to move forward. How does each chain connect to each other at a varying angle of 90 degrees in a locked loop.

loop 0.jpg

loop 1.jpg

Thanks, when i opened the file, i got some errors and the file didn't load properly, so i got more tutorials about the copy sop. and tried doing it on my own, but i still don't understand it very well. How did your node end with the copy sop, because after adding copy sop i still added edit operator to manually rotate the chains by 90 degrees. 

Also i'm moving to the next stage which is demolition, so i will try to do this on my own and post video previz later.

If i run into any problems, i will holla.

And if anyone has anything else to add please tell, because Houdini is a life devotion.

Plenty Thanks

0.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by HowZow
Added additional explanation

Yes i use H15, your H15 opened with no problems.

i see the power of this copy sop. i have created 2000 chains with it.

Houdini is multiple awesomeness. On Tuesday April 4, I will upload simulation video of the destruction with more questions.

0.jpg

This has been a very tough phase to pass. But i keep enjoying Houdini.

When i applied RBD Object to the chain and sphere, the simulation runs like a single object.

so the question is how do i properly simulate the chain.

01.jpg

02.jpg

It`s good to start with the project already, but you should learn the basics of sops, then dops, vops and then do more complex stuff.

I found this to be very helpful at the beginning

https://www.fxphd.com/details/?idCourse=368

But who am I to say. I started with FLIP :D:D struggled 3 months on one shot, but somehow finished it :D

You should look in bullet data and geometry representation. and probably its convex hull by default, so change it to concave. Should do the job.

Yes changing it to concave did the job, somehow i missed this, wow. Thanks, but the sphere and the chain are detached and i also noticed interpolation.

Initially when i started using Houdini i discovered the best way to learn is to dive into a project then figure it out as you encounter challenges, there is still a lot to learn like VEX too.

So how do i attach the sphere and chain together and fix the interpolation.

00.png

Yes by workjing on actual project you learn a lot, but learn basics on side, I know it might be bit boring, but that is gonna help you along the way.

One more for the basics I could suggest is this guy

http://helloluxx.com/product/learn-houdini-jumpstart-ultimate-bundle/

I purchased pyro and vops, Really well explained everything there.

For the chain and sphere:

Fastest and easiest way probably is to take one link and merge it with sphere so it`s one object.

Also if sim is not working properly try increasing substebs, that should help.