Real Flow, Fluids, Dops, And Stuff

Guest xionmark

Guest xionmark
Hi MADjestic, I'm glad to hear that! It would be great to have the fluid simulation in Houdini as well - I'm still quite busy with the Blender stuff, and not really familiar DOPs... but if you want to try and write an interface maybe I can still help a bit.

Btw. I think the CVS access to the summer-of-code branches is still restricted, but it should be part of the main blender branch soon...

-> Nils

21113[/snapback]

Hi Nils,

I'm very interested in doing this in DOPs, I'm just now getting my feet firmly planted in the DOPs related HDK classes, but I have a bit more work to do exploring it before implementing anything serious. I've got a couple of approachs to fluids in DOPs that I'm considering, I could certainly use your help answering questions now and then.

Thanks for your work, I've checked out Blender, it's been a while since I've used it, I should be able to look over the way you implementated your solvers in Blender this week.

--Mark

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again,

the last post has been a while, but I thought I'd just write a short status update - the Blender solver integration is slowly taking shape.. For this I started adding an API to get rid of the config file export. A first version now available from sourceforge:

http://elbeem.sourceforge.net/

It contains a command line application and a small API test program. For building you should have scons, gcc and some basic libraries. I still havent found time to look into the Houdini APIs, but once you get hold of some triangulated meshes it shouldnt be too hard to export them to the fluid solver, and read the surface meshes back in... Maybe someone is bored over Christmas and gives it a try :)

Regards,

-> Nils

Congratulations on finishing your paper, Nils. Hope to hear of it entering Houdini-land some day. :)

23096[/snapback]

Jason - thanks! I just saw there's also a post about the Blender fluids in the other forum... This blender.org page is a bit outdated, but I hope they'll update it soon. (Btw. moving objects should be in soon as well.)

• 2 months later...
Jason - thanks! I just saw there's also a post about the Blender fluids in the other forum... This blender.org page is a bit outdated, but I hope they'll update it soon. (Btw. moving objects should be in soon as well.)

23134[/snapback]

Nils, is there some kind of forum where one (me) could communicate to you on the regular basis? I get questions from time to time when reading your paper and I hope you could answer them if you will, if possibe.

NB: sorry for hijacking the topic, folks - maybe I should start a new thread on this - if you think so - just tell me. I'm starting it here only because I hope that Nils (to whom I adress this post, mainly) will get notifyied of this post.

The first question is:

In your paper you say that: "particles (that) are allowed to move only along the lattice velocity vectors".

Does it mean that particles can't move in directions that are results of summing up velocity vectors? For example take 2 neighbouring vectors and sum up 1/2 of them, thus resulting in a different vector? Or this is achieved as another step? (say 1/2 of vector A as the first step and 1/2 of vector B as a second)

Thanks.

NB: sorry for hijacking the topic, folks - maybe I should start a new thread on this - if you think so - just tell me.  I'm starting it here only because I hope that Nils (to whom I adress this post, mainly) will get notifyied of this post.

24766[/snapback]

Hi MADjestic, you're right, it's not really Houdini related, so I just sent you a mail (in short, the velocity space for those particles is restricted, but the fluid velocity can be arbitrary).... If anyone else is interested though, let me know. Regards,

-> Nils