Houdini L-system based procedural forest and plants generator.

Upload some photos with different bark colors.

First 2 photos is spruce, I think 50 years old, or more. It is about 1 meter in diameter. Next photo shows this tree with arrow. 

Next photos is trees about 20-30 years.

All bark colors is different. Will try to implement it with some texture blending in COPs.

But waiting for another references=)

IMG_20170611_151244_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170611_151257_HDR.jpg

Old_spruce.jpg

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_20170611_151908_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170611_152122_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the nudge (I did indeed forget... had an interview today)

This is the effect I mean... first a photo of a pinewood forest with varied ages. There's almost a feel of mistyness in the y axis.... the right side I've pushed saturation over the top... you can see that younger pines have a shift to red along the y axis. It's subtle, but in a forest makes the verticle almost pulse. Musical... either that or I've spent too much time trippin gin forests :-)

kiefer.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you, David! I very appreciated to you!

Forest is the place where you can hear voices of passed ages. It's really something special.

Pine and spruce has differences in bark, but the idea about colors by y axis is the same. Will implement this by layer of gradient in COPs.

• 1 month later...

spread out on a landscape and rotated, I don't think anyone will notice these as variants. Likely get much more mileage by cutting branches out on the lower segments... leaving just branch twig...
These also look very young, I think variants will be more useful on adult mimicking location of growth.. ie. in open field filling out, or in forest tall and slender, only needle crown at top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stickman said:

spread out on a landscape and rotated, I don't think anyone will notice these as variants. Likely get much more mileage by cutting branches out on the lower segments... leaving just branch twig...
These also look very young, I think variants will be more useful on adult mimicking location of growth.. ie. in open field filling out, or in forest tall and slender, only needle crown at top.

Ok, got it) Thanks!

Will do as you say. And one more thing - will add a branches without needles in the lower branches and in in the lower part of the trunk.