Lego

stu

Oops...thank you!

24834[/snapback]

I've added a photon caustic pass, out of interest.

This involves first generating photon maps with the mantra_generate_photon ROP and then rendering with the mantra_photon ROP.

The photon pass looks like the attached image.

I'll attach the file in a minute.

post-4-1140220866_thumb.jpg

From what I hear, they are. :)

24852[/snapback]

...but still the only way we can do caustics in Mantra. ;)

Anyhow, here is the file. Tweaking photons is a right pain. Screwing with the Number of photons, the probablities, the "Photon Error Estimate" and the GI intensity is so unintuitive as to frighten away almost any artist. Notice that my GI intensity is at 100 and I'm throwing 20 million photons at the scene and my Error Estimate is way low at 0.001. It seems like I should be getting more responsive results than this, no? How hard is this in mental ray? From a Gnomon video I saw you run into very similar problems but you do have a more responsive visualization there.

The scene is attached. Please notice that I have a Post-Render script to convert the photon map into a bgeo point-cloud for visualization and there is an object in the scene to read it.

lego_v02.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to check again, but I think that the "lego" logo bump map on all of the little button things was getting reversed so I fixed it by flipping the uvs.

If you wanted to be really particular, you have to flip it back for the pieces that I mirrored (wing pieces, etc.) in order for the word "lego" to read properly on those pieces.

• 1 month later...