Fabric Engine no longer being developed

goldleaf

2 minutes ago, CinnamonMetal said:

All bets on they got bought; if that isn't the case then they were unorganized and things went sour. There is product and then there is business, product was good; business wasn't stable and so this is the end result. Therefore product turns to dust.

wrong - it's VC funded which means that sales are not as relevant as selling out at the end.

13 hours ago, tamagochy said:

To be honest - anyone use fabric engine? I only read that it very powerful and so on, but i knew only few projects with it. Or maybe i dont know something and a lot of studios use it?

Yeah there are a few studios who invested in it heavily. Psyop was one I worked at that used it alongside Houdini. I'm guessing they'll be looking at Houdini Engine a bit more closely now. 

I find this kind of thing really sad each time it happens. No matter if they went bust or got bought out, it always leaves a crater of frustration with everybody who was using the software before and invested time and money into it. So in the future, people will be less willing to trust a new and small company, which makes the already rather monoish-culture in the field even stronger.

Especially if it would have been bought by AD, it really would be a sad day seeing another hopeful contender for a fresh approach getting sunk into that black hole. Would feel like that old carcass Maya getting another injection of fresh blood from a youth...

I keep my fingers crossed that it is something at least halfways non-necromantic... ;-)
And that everybody involved is well...

Cheers,

Tom

3 hours ago, Thomas Helzle said:

So in the future, people will be less willing to trust a new and small company, which makes the already rather monoish-culture in the field even stronger.

Well, Apple killed Shake too and Autodesk killed XSI so large enormously successful companies also kill products. Shite happens. Enjoy the ride!

• 2 months later...