Poetsofthefall

Krakatoa type effect with POP in Mantra

Hey guys! 

New to Houdini here. Just wanted to know these 2 things:

1. How I get Krakatoa type wispy effect in Houdini Mantra? Can you guys suggest a tutorial?

2. Also, everytime I render particles, I get spheres. What if I want particles to be rendered as points like in Krakatoa. Even if with very small radii with spheres, how can I get that? 

20 minutes ago, Poetsofthefall said:

Also, everytime I render particles, I get spheres. What if I want particles to be rendered as points like in Krakatoa. Even if with very small radii with spheres, how can I get that? 

f@pscale. Go really small with it, like 0.001. This is measured in world units (meters).

See this thread for more info

• Like 1

Hey, I'd recommend have the particles pixel sized, do some wedging as that will use less power and possibly motion blur!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Moasib said:

Hey, I'd recommend have the particles pixel sized, do some wedging as that will use less power and possibly motion blur!

Thanks Moasib. It's been done already. I figured either go for Wedge or procedural shader while rendering. But I got what I wanted. Peace.

There is PRT Rop to save your particle simulation as PRT sequense, than rendering in Max or Cinema with Krakatoa

• Thanks 1

Sorry to necro, but what did you end up doing?  I'm currently trying to figure out if Mantra running in non-raytrace mode actually rasterizes every point to the framebuffer like Krakatoa/UE4/Unity.