Isleofgough

Fixing Normals

I am not sure why the normals are not working as I think they should, but I am trying to model a simple belt and have the decorations follow the belt. I do not want to add an old point SOP to make all normals point upwards, but rather have them follow the belt. Would you mind telling me what is wrong in my model? Thanks.

BeltProblem.jpg

Belt.hiplc

there is two things you need to do:

- in your polyframe  node untick tangent  and tick Bitangent and  set that  to N

- in your transform node called  "flatten" put 90 in rotate.x so  that your geo is pointing along Z axis

cool model :)

Thank you so much, Jesper!! I am used to C4D but really like the power of Houdini. Sometimes I get a bit lost on what is going on behind the hood though. That fixed it. (I will added a node to move the points used for the Copy node slightly in the normal direction to make it look a bit better). Here is result:

Belt.hiplc

Belt.mantra_ipr.0001.jpg

Edited by Isleofgough
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Isleofgough said:

Thank you so much, Jesper!! I am used to C4D but really like the power of Houdini. Sometimes I get a bit lost on what is going on behind the hood though. That fixed it. (I will add a node to move the points used for the Copy node slightly in the normal direction to make it look a bit better).

awesome man. Feel free to share progress :)