orinfitchett

Tearing metal from bullet sim

Hi all,

I've got a scene where I want to have a metal object receive an impact and then tear up with all the dents etc, I've used a Voronoi setup where my conetwist constraints switch to a hard glue constraint after a certain angle is met which keeps the box deformed, also the glue does break off for debris.

The problem I have is that while it does look ok, I don't know how to set this up so that there are no cracks; would I have to drive a higher resolution piece of geometry with this?

A good example of what I'm looking to achieve is in this video if I haven't explained it well enough.

Any help is much appreciated

deformation_01.hipnc

Holy bejeezus! Impressive. Gleaming lots of stuff in there... love how low poly geo is first collided/deformed, then the finer sheets are tearing based on that. Very very impressive.

On 2018-02-12 at 7:28 AM, orinfitchett said:

Hi all,

I've got a scene where I want to have a metal object receive an impact and then tear up with all the dents etc, I've used a Voronoi setup where my conetwist constraints switch to a hard glue constraint after a certain angle is met which keeps the box deformed, also the glue does break off for debris.

The problem I have is that while it does look ok, I don't know how to set this up so that there are no cracks; would I have to drive a higher resolution piece of geometry with this?

A good example of what I'm looking to achieve is in this video if I haven't explained it well enough.

Any help is much appreciated

deformation_01.hipnc

you original mesh that you fracture with the voronoi can be used and deformed based on your voronoi simulation. I assume that your voronoi sim and the original mesh have the same point count. You can simply use a pointdeform to transfer your sim animation to your orignal mesh

• Like 1