spieluhr_x

Best approaches to achieve an organic voronoi holes pattern

Posted (edited)

Hello everybody,

What would be the best way to approach the effect like the reference images? I would like to have some sort of control to blend solid parts and drilled parts like in the second image.

lauren.jpg

voronoi_head.jpg

Edited by spieluhr_x
To simplify the question

Starting from a human bust model:

Paint density using Paint SOP --> Scatter (enable Density Attribute) --> copy spheres on scattered points (Sphere SOP, Primitive Type: Polygon or Polygon Mesh).

On another branch PolyExtrude char surface so it has thickness (enable Output Back).

Boolean (Operation: Subtract) with extruded char on left input, spheres on right.

You can jitter the spheres' P (Point Jitter with a small scale, maybe 0.05 as a starting point) and randomize an orient on the points (Attribute Randomize, Attribute Name: 'orient', Dimensions: 4) before Copy To Points for a bit of randomness. And/or after Copy To Points use an Attrib VOP with e.g. Unified Noise added to @P, which will possibly give a nicer-looking randomness. For nicer edges after Boolean enable Output Edge Groups: 'abseams' on the Boolean and use PolyBevel with Group: 'abseams'.

Maybe helps you get started, try it out. If you get stuck, ask again, I'm sure I'm missing some details :) 

As regards the Orange Lady, F1 already sent a solution previously, here:

• Like 1

My proposed solution wasn't very good. Tried it out and ultimately had better luck with:

Head mesh --> PolyReduce (paint an attribute before to Retain Density in some parts) --> Divide with Compute Dual on --> some extrudes & peaks & vdb and back and such to get a nice solid shape.

or

Head mesh --> Scatter (paint density before) --> Voronoi Fracture (Create Inside Surface off) --> some extrudes & peaks & vdb and back and such to get a nice solid shape.

Quite far from the refs, I headed a different direction due to needing similar stuff for a project.

voronoi_rnd.png