meerkat

Wire Objects On A Surface

hello,

i am quite new to houdini and i was just playing around with the wire objects, and would like to know how to glue lots of wires onto a surface to make hair . I have made all the hairs using the copy sop and the surface but i dont know how to glue the hairs to the surface.

hello,

i am quite new to houdini and i was just playing around with the wire objects, and would like to know how to glue lots of wires onto a surface to make hair . I have made all the hairs using the copy sop and the surface but i dont know how to glue the hairs to the surface.

22557[/snapback]

You have to create an attribute for each point on each hair. The valueof this attribute will be -1 for all the points except the ones you want stuck to the head. For those, you set the valueof the attribute to the point number of the head geometry (confused? I'm not surprised).

The attached shows how this is done.

hairExample.hip.gz

Nice example. To get a more 'natural' wind effect through the hair you can edit the noise1 DOP to set the Random Seed to $F and the default operation to Set Always.

thanks for the example, it was very helpfull.

Do you know how to make collisions between the wires and the original geometry so that the wires dont intersect it?

thanks for the example, it was very helpfull.

Do you know how to make collisions between the wires and the original geometry so that the wires dont intersect it?

22716[/snapback]

I think if you bring your original geometry into dops as an RBD object and use the merge DOP to bring them together, you should get the collisions for free...

here's another example file showing that kind of setup...it also shows the goal point attributes needed for the wire glue constaints. Notice the jittering of the wires that are resting on the "head" geometry... from what I've heard, that's a known problem, not sure if it's been fixed yet...

H8_dops_wire_head.zip