Disney's "The Wild" Trailer News

michael

is AttributeTransfer just remapping of point attributes or it does some smart work for smoothing, interpolating, extrapolating etc.? I've never used it actually... :blush:

26605[/snapback]

ok, i agree, that was stupid - I've just looked into examples, read help paper, and now understand little more.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hats off to everyone involved in this movie... C.O.R.E and SideFX. I just came back from the theater and was eager to leave my note here.

Really good character animation, I was all the time comparing their movement to my cat's. A lot of attention was spent in the secondary motions.

Wasn't there a article on VFXwolrd saying that Houdini could not do secondary motions?? lol :whistling:

Any one knows how/where was the rendering done? Mantra?

• 1 month later...
the June issue of 3D World has an article on The Wild that is mostly accurate :)

sorry man. i hate to disagree with you. I read that article..and it is probably the worst one i've seen yet..

I'm getting a bunch ofmails now based on my comments... so i'm fixing it :)

I, personally, found the article used incomplete quotes from the people there.

example

"We'd done long format animated TV...But not a 1,400-shot film. We had to rehash our pipeline several times"

okay sure, we had rehash the pipeline. it doesn't complete the idea that it worked in the end. as a blow up quote which catches a reader's eye... it makes us sound like we were lost"

really what was lost was the fact that in the end regardless of hurdles we had.. we actually finished ahead of schedule and we did all the ReDOs. all the extra credit work, and that included two new sequences with a total of 5 new characters. In the end getting all that done was large a result of the final pipeline (flawed or not) and the use of Houdini. You work smart with a powerful package, you get good results.

i'm just a bit sensitive i guess.

-k

• 4 months later...
Renderman.

I just watched the movie last night on DVD.

Stunning and awesome !

If it's true that Renderman was used then are the photorealistic results shown in this movie beyond the capabilities of Mantra?

I realize that elaborate texturing /shading and lighting is neccesary to produce results like these, but I've never used Renderman, so I wonder how much the renderer itself affects the image given the same lighting and textures.

E.g. when I've rendered simple materials in Mantra, they usually look like the / "pre-render / low-render" (whatever the settings were) in the "deleted scenes" / extras on the DVD.

Mike

the choice of renderer can be a pretty complicated issue...and it's not always about quality...

both of these pictures were rendered in a renderman compliant renderer:

post-142-1160674906_thumb.jpg

post-142-1160674926_thumb.jpg

the difference is:

shaders

textures

lighting

skill

time

mantra is VERY close to prman in almost all ways...others can speak to the specific differences but I don't think you'll ever go wrong with mantra...and both of the above images could have been made with mantra...

oh and thanks for the complements :)

the choice of renderer can be a pretty complicated issue...and it's not always about quality...

mantra is VERY close to prman in almost all ways...others can speak to the specific differences but I don't think you'll ever go wrong with mantra.

Ya, from the little I know about them I can understand that, especially in a huge project like this (I would guess .. having no experience or real knowledge about what goes on :) )

The output quality is what I was particulary interested in here. I have rendered some great looking images from Mantra, ... only from tutorials so far :)

How much of a render-speed difference is there for a comparably "heavy scene"?

**EDIT** I was just reading the RenderMan/Maya docs and it says that RM speed becomes more apparent as the the amount of geometry in the scene increases.

both of these pictures were rendered in a renderman compliant renderer:

post-142-1160674906_thumb.jpg

post-142-1160674926_thumb.jpg

the difference is:

1)shaders

2)textures

3)lighting

4)skill

5)time

Well #4 leads to 1-3 :) . #5 always equating to $$$$ ;)

The other technical things I noticed was 1) the great animation .. albeit that being 99% human

skill and not really software influence much at all ..... and 2) the great water effects ... again a lot of skill involved, but the power of the software (Houdini ???) showing more there.

(The fantastic hair and fur go without saying :) ) ... Are they genereated entirely in Houdini? You could probably sell it as "HairFurMan" :)

Was that entirely Houdini for the water / water spray/foam / boat wakes ... etc?

I just found StevenOng's water.otl and it's a great compoent for an idea I have for a short involvling a water skier and an under-powered boat :)

I guess maybe some kind of particle system could be used for generating spray/boat wake ?

I'll look for tutorials more info on the site and on the sidefx forum, but if you can point me towards any other info re: water/waves/spray etc, that would be great.

Mike

corrrect me if iam wrong but someone in mailing list mentioned that R & H used mantra to render all of thier shots for superman returns.

Ya, pbowmar in this thread said

We used it extensively on Superman Returns at Rhythm and Hues, all the ocean, boat, helicopters and a bunch of other stuff during the part where Superman rescues them from the boat.

(I just happened to read it today, while looking for information on Renderman .... actually I was looking for information on what renderer was used for The Wild :) )

Mike

what you see in the wild is renderman.

what you see animated was done in houdini

what you see in effects was done in houdini

the water was done in houdini

the fur was done in houdini with custom (HDK operators)

the majority of modeling was done in another package, but the not 100% some characters and some of the set pieces were modeled in houdini.

all rigging was done in houdini

all lighting was done in houdini

shake was used for compositing.(slapcomps and an unique comp set was done in houdini to assist lighting/compositing)

what you saw in those "low quality" renders could have been one of three things, either a low rez non shadow renderman render, an openGL render/flipbook, or it is also possible that you sawsome deleted scences which were done outside of the CORE pipeline part of a previz which was done in MAYA.

and yes colin did acutally work as a lead lighter on the movie and happened to do the voice for the hyrax.

-k

what you see in the wild is renderman.

what you see animated was done in houdini

what you see in effects was done in houdini

the water was done in houdini

the fur was done in houdini with custom (HDK operators)

the majority of modeling was done in another package, but the not 100% some characters and some of the set pieces were modeled in houdini.

all rigging was done in houdini

all lighting was done in houdini

shake was used for compositing.(slapcomps and an unique comp set was done in houdini to assist lighting/compositing)

T.K,

Thx for the info :)

What were the approximate average render times / frame and what was the longest render time .. and for what scene(s) ?

When you say compositing, does that mean that some or all of the animation vs the backgrounds are rendered seperately, then composited ?

Mike