Sign in to follow this  
kumpa

eliminating z-fight

Is there a way to tell mantra to always render one shader in front on the other when rendering co-planar surfaces ? Cheers

image.thumb.png.39188091a3e6086ea49ee8933f553827.png

Posted (edited)

I only know the rendering priorities used for nested dielectrics, so it should be working only for transparent materials, that really overlap (don’t think it works when surfaces are confounded) but it is worth trying. I think you will have to review your modeling so that you don’t have coplanar faces...

If really you can’t update your model, why not displace the whole surface of one of your object just a tiny bit, just sufficiently so that the rays can determine which object they hit first ? I am sure the precision at which the renderer works is better than what can be actually noticeable if you displace just an tiny tiny bit...

Edited by StepbyStepVFX

On 4/27/2018 at 3:56 PM, StepbyStepVFX said:

I only know the rendering priorities used for nested dielectrics, so it should be working only for transparent materials, that really overlap (don’t think it works when surfaces are confounded) but it is worth trying.

That's what I was thinking about. It was more of a curiosity than an actual issue anyway.

Cheers