Masters Of Fireplaces...

Visual Cortex Lab

The quickest way would be using metaballs, a convert meta, a peak sop and an x-ray shader.

You would prolly get a more realistic result if you created some kind of Volumetric shader in VOPS, but it might not be woth the added render times. A little post work with an x-ray shader render can go a long way.

I would stay away from sprites for a realistic fire effect.

let me know what you're doing.

-A

Hi, Andrew

Great to see you among the odforce community!

About a month ago I sent you an email that you never replied. So maybe I will be lucky here? Here's the reproduction of the e-mail:

Dear Andrew,

About a year ago I got across your site and notes devoted to flame. I really enjoyed the results of your research and the ana.lysis and was dreaming to do something similar to it one day. Unfortunately this has never happened

figure.. tomorrow... big Brainstorming in the company.. about techniques... softwares (luckly Houdini at least for simulation)... and people involved in such topic I started looking alone months ago .... and Andrew's notes have been (still are) my main best result I ever got from my long work on this issue....

I'll post my latest result next days if you're interested... and yeah .. I also bugged Andrew again to get some more help but i guess he's been really buzy since long time.. cause first reply i got from him.. was really kind and ready to help...

cheers.

p.s. masters of fireplace.... i seriously also need help from masters of smokes and dusts... i'm in serious troubles finding a way to get such effects :(

hi, not sure this help or not.

This quick n dirty fireball shader i've created awhile ago. Since u r not looking for photoreal fire.Feel free to modify. Is a Xray shader have to 2 colors, inner and outer color blend with some procedural noise.

Here is an attached image.

post-1266-1164993317_thumb.jpg

Here is the hipnc file. (sorry for the messy vopnet) i'll find some time to clean it up. sorry.

fire.hipnc

• 5 months later...
Hello,

I want to make a fire-effect with Houdini...

Would it be possible to post a hip file to see how you did it ?

thanks,

bern

I did it with other PC and I can't remember where the file is.

But what I did is use a real fire footage in a VEX layered and applied it to sprites with a really simple motion.

I captured the footage from the artbeats examples using camtasia :)