musickent

How to create self-illumintation

How to make the effect of self-illumination, like the moon or a light bulb?

In 3D MAX, there is an option for this in material editor. I don't know how to do it in Houdini. :(

Thanks

turn on the "emit-value" or use a pic as "emit_texture" if you have a shader with this options, but I don't think this is possible whith the standard

"Layered Surface" :(

in the provided shaders, whenever you see "constant shading" or "constant model" that's what it is...basically it renders your object disregarding the lighting info in the scene....

you could get it with the layered shader if you switch lighting model to "constant" and use the texture to tint the diffuse

or you could get it (less efficient) with the super material if you set all your colors to 0 and "emit" to 1 then go to the texture tab and apply an emit texture as "add" or "image over"

cheers..

but . how to create the light around the moon or light bulb, because there should be some light emiting from them.

Thanks in advance

Am I, really, hearing this correctly? Can you make things emit light in Houdini?

I never even knew about that!

:lol::P i just want to know if it is possible to create this effect.. don't laugh at me... :P

can i use the atmosphere object to do that, there is a option light halo there, i think it may be what i want, but i haven't got time to check it out.

adding atmosphere and fog seems the only way you could do that straight out of the renderer(the halo you see around bright objects is due to some atmosphere reflecting it...)

or... compositing is great concept! most people do it that way :P

thanks .

But compositing only can create 2D effect, if the carema changes then the 2D halo need to be adjusted. Or..maybe i can render the bulb separately then comosite the halo with it. correct? :rolleyes:

The built-in compositor of Houdini can handle "deep rasters" which means you can render out 3D info from Mantra and then do 3D effects using the compositor.

Or..maybe i can render the bulb separately then comosite the halo with it. correct?

yea, that's the general idea ;)