sjowol

Orthographic align and move back to original position

I am trying to make a setup where I align an object orthographically and then after I do my operations move the result back to the original position.
I have a working way for aligning but am sure there must be an easier way...
My method for aligning now:
- Create oriented bbox
- Measure prims
- delete all but largest, then delete 1 of the largest in order to just have 1 rectangle, 4 points
- make a vector from point 0 to 1 to align with x
- make a vector from 0 to 2 to align with y
- make normals to align with z
- in vops use the align vop to align the 0 1 vector to x then use the (rotated) normals to align with z

Even though this works I assume (hope) there is a better way to find the vectors, using pointnumbers is not procedural enough imho so any tips here would be great.

But then the part I can't seem to get...
How do I rotate my result back to the original position? there must be a way to store the rotations and invert these or something but everything i tried didin't work. my vectormath and matrices could def use some work.
ofcourse i can use a point deform but that would not be accurate enough plus i am 00% sure there must be a way to invert what i did in the first vop.

Thanks!

try this one

vector edge_dirs[];
float edge_lengths[];
foreach(int nb; neighbours(0,@ptnum)){
	vector pos = point(0,"P",nb);
	vector delta = pos-@P;
	append(edge_dirs,normalize(delta));
	append(edge_lenghts, length(delta));
}
edge_dirs = reorder(edge_dirs,argsort(edge_lengths));
vector x = edge_dirs[-2];
vector y = edge_dirs[-3];
vector z = edge_dirs[-1]; //longest
3@rot = set(x,y,z);

then find point you like and assign matrix from it for all points and make this: @P *= invert(3@rot); to back to initial position just @P *= 3@rot;

Edited by tamagochy
fix lenghts ))
  • Like 2

That is awesome, Thanks!
(And I see you suffer from the same issue I have, never knowing how to exactly spell length (haha just wrote it wrong even, thank G'd for google autocorrect) took me a while to figure out why it was erroring as somehow it always looks the same to me)

On 5/29/2018 at 7:43 PM, sjowol said:

That is awesome, Thanks!
(And I see you suffer from the same issue I have, never knowing how to exactly spell length (haha just wrote it wrong even, thank G'd for google autocorrect) took me a while to figure out why it was erroring as somehow it always looks the same to me)

I don't know what's with that word but several times I to spell it wrong, we may have made a scientific discovery :D