MOPs: Motion Graphics Operators for Houdini

Good point about fonts!

I think MOPS is a game-changer for many of us coming from C4D who are used to a pretty intuitive and quick way to have access to fall-offs, randomization, and various motion effects. To many of us VEX can be beyond intimidating and a downright deal breaker (I personally know quite a few friends who decided to stick to C4D due to their aversion for typing any code). MOPS changes all of that making Houdini instantly more accessible. I'm really grateful to Henry and Moritz for MOPS and I can't wait to see how they evolve these tools.

We do plan on adding comprehensive type tools in a future update... we just wanted to make sure they were handling all of the nitpicky typography stuff (alignment, kerning, etc.) that motion designers would be particular about, so it might take a little while to figure out. Nice example file, though, thanks @Noobini!

6 hours ago, toadstorm said:

We do plan on adding comprehensive type tools in a future update... we just wanted to make sure they were handling all of the nitpicky typography stuff (alignment, kerning, etc.) that motion designers would be particular about, so it might take a little while to figure out. Nice example file, though, thanks @Noobini!

good to hear...fantastic efforts from all contributors so far...

(so yeah there's a bit of polishing to do for fonts...ie.alignment, variable char width, 2 shapes in 1 char treated as 1....)

In the meantime, can some RBD guru make these chars fall off at the end of the cliff like RBD lemmings ?

(Jack probably likes RBD...while Jill probably prefers FEM...whatever takes your fancy...)

JackJillUphill.jpg

JackJillFontUphill.hipnc

Edited by Noobini

Wow this is awesome, nice job!! I'm super excited to play with this, and it's something that I sorely missed from C4D. I always wondered if Houdini would get some kind of mograph toolkit after seeing Rohan Dalvi's Recreating Mograph series. I even tried to implement a similar "Grid Cloner" HDA a while back so I wouldn't have to keep re-remembering and reading up on how to randomize @orient and @N / @up (I still don't "really" understand quarternions, for that matter). Great stuff!

21 hours ago, toadstorm said:

Feel free to not use it. 

I fear the possibility that entagma stops teaching solutions based on vex programming, and instead, starts giving solutions based on this philosophy of cinema 4d focused on designers, we, houdini users are not exactly designers.

Edited by dyei nightmare
  • Downvote 2

On 11/6/2018 at 5:57 PM, moedeldiho said:

That's a nice rendering, DaJuice!

Thanks for the compliments - guess at some point we'll have to do some T-Shirts :)

please keep giving us tutorials based on vex programming, moritz :)  our vex skills have to be "on the move" :)  

Edited by dyei nightmare

4 hours ago, dyei nightmare said:

I fear the possibility that entagma stops teaching solutions based on vex programming, and instead, starts giving solutions based on this philosophy of cinema 4d focused on designers, we, houdini users are not exactly designers.

"we, houdini users are not exactly designers" You know that is not the case. Plenty of designers use Houdini. And please dont include me in your argumentation. How dare you speak on behalf of all Houdini users. That is not cool. You might not be a designer but i am and so are many Houdini users i know.

-b

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dyei nightmare said:

Which is mildly ironic since the people who's tutorials you want so much are themselves designers. MOPs and Entagma are amazing to see and more knowledge/tools should not be discouraged. Even if all you do every day are pyro sims, learning some design skills will help your sims look better, guaranteed.

M

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, bonsak said:

"we, houdini users are not exactly designers" You know that is not the case. Plenty of designers use Houdini. And please dont include me in your argumentation. How dare you speak on behalf of all Houdini users. That is not cool. You might not be a designer but i am and so are many Houdini users i know.

-b

ok,  not you,  and some more peole,  but fxtd's  usually (not always, but more often than not) are more "technical side",  again, maybe not everybody :rolleyes:

Edited by dyei nightmare

6 minutes ago, Marc said:

Which is mildly ironic since the people who's tutorials you want so much are themselves designers. MOPs and Entagma are amazing to see and more knowledge/tools should not be discouraged. Even if all you do every day are pyro sims, learning some design skills will help your sims look better, guaranteed.

M

yes, ironic, im not demeaning designers, i was one myself,  but i just hope entagma keeps in their vex focused context...  :P

• Like 1