kairos01

bending/project object on a curved surface

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to create a futuristic UI in Houdini 16 for a live-action shot. The "control panel" area is meant to be curved and inclined so the character can "use it". What I want is to scatter on that surface a bunch of random GUI element, but the problem is that I don't know how to make those object follow the surface curvature.
In the image attached I scattered a single point at the center of one panel area and gave the normal direction of the faces + v@up, then I use Ray SOP to make it stick on the surface. As you can see the problem is that the text (or any object) doesn't bend.

Is there a way? I tought of a some sort of linear interpolation of spherical interpolation but it's too complicated yet for me so I ask you if you have a better solution :)

Thanks in advance!

ui_odforce.JPG

Supposing this frame is representative of what you need, I don't think you need anything fancy.

ray_curved.hip

Thank you for the quick reply!

The starting picture above is what I have at the moment, not what I want.
Sorry but, I probably explained it wrong, so here another image: Any projected object should bend from the blue lines, to the orange ones. An example could be those curved led scrolling text like in this video (https://youtu.be/Y0_4W2f0OsI?t=11s)

The ray sop do a great job to stitch the object on the surface, but it lack that curvature (in the top view is visible this).

ui_odforce_1.JPG

14 hours ago, Aizatulin said:

Hi,

have you tried creep sop?

creep_sop.hipnc

Seems just what I needed, cool!
I will update you, thanks!