Houdini 17 Sneak Peak

Sepu

This was presented very well. 

Vellum looks interesting, although what is this enhancing ? The cloth looks like an improvement, hair; looks good, I didn't even try the H16.x hair tools, hopefully the new hair tools are an addition to the H16 hair tools. The RBD stuff, I don't completely understand.  

There is a denoiser, I believe many were wishing for such a thing ?  

Sneak peek looks interesting. I'm looking forward to more details, particularly as it relates to modeling enhancements which, at the moment, it's Houdini's weak spot. The new Terrain stuff looks interesting since I've been dealing with terrains quite a bit lately, but it's not like the current terrain tools were not good. Anyway, it seems to me like there will be lots of things for everyone, so that's a good thing!

6 hours ago, nisachar said:

I wish there was more support for direct modeling, but I am glad they are tweaking the terrain and uv tools. They are good but 3rd party apps for UVs and terrain are doing some really amazing work.

Same here. Out of curiosity, what DCC modeling app is your go to for modeling?

11 hours ago, nisachar said:

I wish there was more support for direct modeling, but I am glad they are tweaking the terrain and uv tools. They are good but 3rd party apps for UVs and terrain are doing some really amazing work.

They're on the same page, I think -- did you see this: 

11 hours ago, nisachar said:

I did. But Sidefx needs to rethink its polymodeling paradigm. It’s great for procedural modeling, but many times gets in the way of on the fly modeling.

Can you be more specific?

Also, what gets in the way of on the fly modeling, the Houdini' s procedural nature? Because if that's what you're implying I see no reason for why that is the case. There's absolutely nothing inherent to the procedural nature of Houdini that makes it poor for direct modeling. What makes Houdini poor for direct modeling is its poorly designed viewport interactivity and tools. At least, this was the case thus far. H17 might eliminate a big chunk of the problems and a future version might do away with them for good. Think of proceduralism (accumulation of nodes) as a mere history. A glorified undo stack. It's not that, of course, but if you can, as a modeler, afford to think of it as such, you're on the right track of thwarting the tendency to think proceduralism is your enemy for direct modeling. Make Houdini work great in the viewport w/o the need to go often into the netview and you'll have a great modeling experience as well as the power (should you choose to use it) that comes from a fully procedural program.

A really good set of new or improved features going by the sneak peek for H17. However I somehow expected a more rendering focused release. What happened with all the mentions of the new contexts? There is nothing about possible Mantra speed improvements in the sneak peek, which is quite sad. 

12 minutes ago, Mandrake0 said:

The new context: LOP & TOP didn't made it for this for H17, they have some delay.

Maybe there is some mantra speedup we will see....

LOP should be a solution on the rendering department.

Just curious, do you know what LOP and TOP stand for?

Pixar's development of Houdini bridge lags behind those for the other DCCs, Maya, etc. I wonder if these are all tied to interactive rendering? GPU acceleration, Nvidea denoiser, they aren't sitting still in rendering performance.

10 hours ago, kev2 said:

Just curious, do you know what LOP and TOP stand for?

I believe these (and probably their names) are still confidential.
Unless you are working for larger companies/are able to attend the special events, where SideEffects makes visits to show their roadmaps.

I know from last year a small talk about another tool where some functions should be in houdini. So i know LOP but not TOP even when i don't have a NDA i wont tell because i find a super suprise needs his moment to show. 

Btw. I guess TOP could be a game changer how CG works if it's that what i think it is! 

11 hours ago, CinnamonMetal said:

Why call it Banshee;

Houdini is about to die.

Well H16 was named Amarok and that means: "An amarok, or amaroq, is a gigantic wolf in Inuit mythology, said to stalk and devour any person foolish enough to hunt alone at night. Unlike wolves who hunt in packs, amaroks hunt alone."

So apparantly they've just gone for mythical creatures in their naming, much like Apple was using names of cats before.