Houdini 17 Sneak Peak

Sepu

Awesome release. With GPU support I may be finally able to look more into simulation :-)
And maybe I can finally retire XSI completely - I still used it sometimes for polymodelling.

Afterwards I was somehow sad to already have watched the first sneak peak video - the Presentation would have been much more "wow" if I hadn't seen 90% of the videos already...
Was it the same for the audience or are Montreal people always that silent and unmoved? Other than polite claps when presenters came or left, I only remember one scene applause - no shouts of happiness, no whistles, no stomping feet...? ;-)
Must be hard to present something in front of such a mute crowd...
But the presenters did once again very well. I like how one can feel the passion and the deep commitment to what they do.

Thanks to everybody at SideFX! I'm so happy I finally came to this family after 25+ years of CG :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Awesome release indeed :D
still some surprises in the launch presentation!

To celebrate, I decided to transcribe the list at the end :P :

• Light path expressions
  • Accl motion blur
  • New PBR SSS for faster convergence of shadowed areas
  • Much lower memory usage for rendering packed prims
  • Support for multiple GI lights
  • Better Bake texture ROP
  • Pyro shader support for heat, density and temp
  • Data window for deep EXR
  • better Hqueue
  • Alembic layering
  • Better unified Noise VOP
  • Better periodic noise support
  • 64-bit vex
  • AVX accl vex
  • POP fluid DOP
  • Smoother agent clip blending
  • Agent unpack SOP
  • compressed bclip file support
  • color coded node parms
  • channel stats in the animation editor
  • much faster deform sop
  • new blendshape version
  • falloff sop
  • point velocity sop
  • triangulate 2d 3.0
  • windin number SOP
  • better trace SOP
  • Support for vertex groups in the group sop
  • More compilable SOPs
  • Faster UV transform
  • Better FBX support
  • HEX color support
  • better parameter search and filters
  • NVIDIA OptiX AI denoiser for Mantra/IPR
Edited by acey195
  • Thanks 2

Transcribed from the end of H17 launch video ...

"LOPS (Project Solaris) Major new architecture, busy developing in R&D. Architecture that goes straight to the heart of lighting and rendering. And in one big swoop, takes Houdini's proceduralism, combines it with GPU accelerated workflows across the board. Dedicated artist workflows, and it weaves all that into a live and native USD core. But that is a story for another day."

Can't wait! :-)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, eloop said:

"LOPS (Project Solaris) Major new architecture, busy developing in R&D. Architecture that goes straight to the heart of lighting and rendering. And in one big swoop, takes Houdini's proceduralism, combines it with GPU accelerated workflows across the board. Dedicated artist workflows, and it weaves all that into a live and native USD core. But that is a story for another day."

In other words for LookDev.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 8:50 AM, eloop said:

Me neither. Just wondering when this "another day" would be. I really could use some GPU power for my volume renderings:) Of course now thanks to Optix integration I don't need to kill all noise in the rendering stage and thus should enjoy more speedy working.