gui

Motion Retargeting Tool

For the folks out there looking for a way to do motion retargeting inside houdini, here´s a tease for a tool that has being working for 2 years now! In a couple of weeks I will share more info about how it works, since I don´t have plans to release it, but I will help anyone who wants to do the same - the tool doesn´t have fancy a algorithm, but works very well.

https://vimeo.com/299246872

Mocap Regergeting Logo.jpg

Edited by gui
  • Like 2

Hey, 

it's been a few months and I was wondering if you will ever release some instructions on retargeting within HD? Your tool looks awesome and is exactly what I need to achieve. 

Cheers,

George

7 hours ago, xquisite said:

Hey, 

it's been a few months and I was wondering if you will ever release some instructions on retargeting within HD? Your tool looks awesome and is exactly what I need to achieve. 

Cheers,

George

Hi @xquisite , I, unfortunately, don´t have plans to release it in the near future, since It needs a major rewrite of the code and some tests using chops instead of python to do the retarget.

Most of my code was for handling errors that came from the CMU mocaps and for automating stuff. The core logic of the retarget I build it´s just linear algebra, so nothing "intelligent" for retargeting here. If you need help for building the retarget, just drop the scene and I will help you.

hey @gui, thanks for responding so fast. I was just google-ing retargeting within Houdini and found your thread, because i am just getting my feet wet with animation within Houdini.

I have a long animation in C4D which i export either as alembic or fbx and import it into houdini. I place a character I rigged in Houdini into the scene and basically want to retarget that animation to that character. To be honest I don't even where to start with building up the network and asking you to go over the scene file would be very time-consuming for you I suppose. Maybe you have some tips where I can find some documentation on that, my search came up with nothing. And thanks a lot for your offer to help, appreciate it.