tious13

vellum hair break [SOLVED]

Hi, exploring vellum i'm trying to break an hair geo by enabling the "break threshold" option in the "vellum constraint" SOP.

I must be missing something on the constraint workflow of vellum because it has no effect at all on the sim :'(

I'd be curious to know if any of you managed it !

Thanks

vellum_hair_break.hipnc

Edited by tious13

On 10/11/2018 at 10:54 PM, Noobini said:

add a convertline after the transform

but why?,  why the rest lenght added by that makes a diference???   because it compares the break attr vs rest lenght or what?

coz a single strand of hair won't break....have a look at the GrassWalker scene I posted yesterday...where if a blade of grass (ie. one strand of hair) gets stuck in the shoe/foot....it gets pulled on and on and on and on....without breaking.

Without the convertline, there is only ONE strand of hair here...it will not break, try it with break threshold at 0....won't break...

The convertline now turns each segment into separate strand of hair (you can enable/disable restlength in convertline...makes no diff). Now with MULTI strands of hair...they can break....don't ask me why technically this , why technically that.....I'm not not a techie....

7 hours ago, Noobini said:

they can break....don't ask me why technically this , why technically that.....I'm not not a techie....

thats why i say vellum is esotheric,  :P  when i add the convert line in many curves conected to vellum i get a very erratic results :huh::huh: 

Edited by dyei nightmare

8 hours ago, Noobini said:

The convertline now turns each segment into separate strand of hair (you can enable/disable restlength in convertline...makes no diff). Now with MULTI strands of hair...they can break....don't ask me why technically this , why technically that.....I'm not not a techie....

look at this file 

vellum_break.hip

Edited by dyei nightmare

dunno what you're trying to do...I'm just guessing here..so file is named 'dunno'

I've disabled the convertline, run the sim....it won't break.

Now add magic ingredient.....enable convertline....

vellum_break_dunno.hiplc

11 hours ago, Noobini said:

dunno what you're trying to do...I'm just guessing here..so file is named 'dunno'

I've disabled the convertline, run the sim....it won't break.

Now add magic ingredient.....enable convertline....

vellum_break_dunno.hiplc

hahahahaha  i wanted to break the wires but a lot of wires with some ofsets,  but the convert line was messing up it,  what i did was applying convert line before copying lines,   i mean,  breaking multiple lines at offseted time