Farmfield

Orient packed primitives to velocity

This is immensely annoying, haha... So I set this up like 3-4 years ago in H14, but I can't for my life seem to recreate it today. I thought it would be as simple as calculating a matrix from the velocity and then using setprimintrinsic to transform to that matrix - but I just can't get it working. Any ideas?

AZY8bmp.gif

Oh, and I'm not at all excluding that I did the above using something way simpler, like using some POP node - that's maybe even more likely than me doing it in a VOP or using VEX...

crappiest motion in history of odforce but this was a 5 min setup to show one way of aligning packed prims to velocity

the harsh turns in orientation come from my extremly sophisticated force set-up^^

ezgif-1-a2c95dc6924a.gif.afd81634708a757398e683583012b85b.gif

dm_alignPackedPrimAlongVelocity.hipnc

Edited by 3dome

Yeah, already solved it using the dihedral of v and up piped into a setprimintrinsic. :D

3 minutes ago, Farmfield said:

Yeah, already solved it using the dihedral of v and up piped into a setprimintrinsic. :D

diedral?   im interested on how you used diedral for this case. 

wouldn't it be more straightforward to use `maketransform(v@v, v@up)` rather than computing a dihedral that rotates one vector onto the other?

i mean if it works, it works... just seems like an unusual approach.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 2:07 AM, toadstorm said:

wouldn't it be more straightforward to use `maketransform(v@v, v@up)` rather than computing a dihedral that rotates one vector onto the other?

i mean if it works, it works... just seems like an unusual approach.

I do non straightforward stuff using unusual approaches all the time, funny enough. It served me well. ;) 

On 11/30/2018 at 5:17 PM, dyei nightmare said:

diedral?   im interested on how you used diedral for this case. 

The scene file is linked in the video - and Toadstorms code works as well, and it's one line instead of two, haha...