Flamingburrit008

Tying a Knot

I've been really interested in creating a rope tying effect like this for awhile. Has anyone ever done something like this before? If so, do you have any tips about how I might approach it? So far I've been experimenting with the wire and vellum solvers, but haven't really made any real progress. Thank you for any advice that you can give me.

Whats wrong with vellum? ;)  Had to go and do it the hard way.  

Far from perfect, tough to get no stretching without tons of substeps, etc.  And Point Deform doesn't seem to be best way to go but a good start.

HIM_Vellum_Rope_v007.hipnc

Animated GIF

Edited by HowardM
  • Like 1

Tidied things up a bit, faster to sim, less substeps, thicker knot and rope.  Less popping but still a few issues, will see if its the sim or the point deformer.  Any suggestions?

giphy.gif

Added a little twist to the polyWire to do some actual geo threads.   :D

rope.jpg.947e1f637bcefb8d7e69fc86b45bf4e4.jpg

HIM_Vellum_Rope_v014.hipnc

Edited by HowardM
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 4:32 PM, Flamingburrit008 said:

I've been really interested in creating a rope tying effect like this for awhile. Has anyone ever done something like this before? If so, do you have any tips about how I might approach it? So far I've been experimenting with the wire and vellum solvers, but haven't really made any real progress. Thank you for any advice that you can give me.

How did he do that knot; that is quite impressive. 

• Like 1