Sign in to follow this  
anicg

Display UV island in different colours

How do I display the UV island in different colours AFTER having finished all the UV work: UV flatten, UV Layout and UV Quickshade.

I'm texturing and I notice nasty stretching in Substance Painter, I need to go back to the UVs view in Houdini to identify which island is causing the problem.

connectivity sop, primitive mode, enable 'use uv connectivity'. color sop in 'random from attribute', primitive mode, attribute name 'class'.

I was about to say "Or you could use the GameDev's UV Visualize" - but it uses the exact same technique as you described.
Neat trick !

You can also display the flattened UV in the 3D view with the UV Visualize sop, which could help you with that stretching problem of yours.

image.png.d2ad52873fc93a17589a85fbad4804fb.png

Thank you. Quite surprising though that this very basic thing is left to the user to worry about and rebuild. There should be tickbox (UV islands in colours, orsomehting like that) on the UV Layout sop, or even in the UV viewport just like the UV distortion and Soft fall off.

Edited by anicg

Sure, or download and use the gamedev toolkit like Alain pointed out.

Re surprising, not really, just a result of houdini's background. Its been the fx and procedural weird things app, not the uv app, there's always been other better software for that. If customers didn't ask for it in the past 20 years, why would sidefx spend time on uv display options? Better that they spend time on what their customers have needed, like more powerful simulation tools.

As houdini pushes more into the mainstream there'll be more things like this exposed (and again the gamedev team are working incredibly quickly to fix things as they find them), but you can't call esoteric missing things you expect surprising any more than you could call the lack of highend water simulation tools in sketchup surprising.

16 hours ago, anicg said:

Thank you. Quite surprising though that this very basic thing is left to the user to worry about and rebuild. There should be tickbox (UV islands in colours, orsomehting like that) on the UV Layout sop, or even in the UV viewport just like the UV distortion and Soft fall off.

Could always send an RFE to sidefx if its something you want.