reeson

Copy Stamp - outward rotation

When you bring geometry and points into copy stamp, is there a way to rotate each copy in different direction?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

don't copy stamp, use template point attributes instead (N, up, orient).

if you just want random rotations for each object, you can use the Attribute Randomize SOP to generate a vector4 (use four dimensions) attribute called "orient", with the Distribution mode set to "Direction or Orientation". set this on the points that you copy to, before the copy SOP, and the instances will all be rotated.

Edited by toadstorm

Thanks.

What about if you have 2 geometries (box, sphere) plugged into switch followed by a transform for the offset. How can you make a copy stamp with a 360/$NCY in Z rotation, so each time you increase the copy number, you would get a box for all odd numbers, and a sphere for all even numbers, thus forming a circle made of box, sphere, box, sphere, box, sphere, etc...

copy.thumb.PNG.fa1e94d60bb0c88a73f5c831b9095e7c.PNG

Again, don't use a copy stamp.

You can define all your template points in advance, then use groups to separate even / odd points, then copy the appropriate geometry to each group. Alternatively, you can use a For/Each loop to define which geometry gets copied to which point. It's a little more complicated, but it scales up much better than Copy Stamping does, especially when compiled.

I'm attaching an example of both methods.

copy_sop_switching_toadstorm.hip

• Like 1

Thank you so much, again. I'm sill learning houdini, and it's a steep learning curve.

Yep, it's a bitch! A lot of older tutorials will encourage you to use Copy Stamping, but it's mostly a deprecated workflow as of Houdini 16. If you want more information about all this template point / copying business, take a look here: http://www.toadstorm.com/blog/?p=493

• Like 2

Can you help me with one more thing please. I drew a curve that goes in all directions, with all angles being 90 degrees. I want to make a rectangular rod out of it. I tried using a sweep and copy to points, but no luck so far.

I just saw the output options in the sweep SOP for the skin output. It works fine with a circle, but with a grid or 4 division circle, it messes the angles.

Posted (edited)

here's one way...I put the polyframe in there just in case...but wasn't even needed.

vu_rectangular rod.hiplc

Edited by Noobini
  • Like 2

hold the superlatives !!!....I can't wrangle my way out of a wet paperbag.

Posted (edited)

Got another one for you houdini wizards. Is there a way to divide the surface into sections like this, or this, or even this. So in the end you would have like a procedural armor plating pattern. Cheers!

Edited by reeson