[SOLVED] Access channel number in CHOP for timeshift-ing purposes

Alain2131

Hey guys !

I'm starting out in CHOP, so be gentle.

I'm trying some things to get going, and already hit a roadblock.
I got a geo node that I'm assigning the rx rotation from CHOP, adding a sin wave to it. Works well.
image.png.445a93ff24ea0da0300672132e2b9ca7.png

But where I'm stuck is that I'm trying to add that same animation to a second geo node, but I want to add some sort of time offset between the two animations.

So I'm thinking "Let's add a timeshift node under the constant, and use some kind of global variable (I believe $C ? Or @C ? unsure) to make a random number for each channel as an offset number !"
Sooo, that didn't work. $C and @C doesn't return anything interesting (aka. not 0 or not erroring out). Maybe I understand this wrong ? If so I'm unsure as to how to use those global variables.

Also, as a side note, I've seen chan[X-Y] being used sometimes in videos, but didn't find it in the help. Nevermind found it, gotta learn to use it now. It's in the Common parameter section of a lot of CHOP nodes.

So ! Is the idea wrong ? How should I approach this ?

Thanks in advance !

chop_timeoffset_test.hip

EDIT :
P.S. I've just noticed that in the help, it says When processing multiple channels, [...]. So I believe placing the timeshift under the math node would be more appropriate. But even doing so it stills errors out.

Also, there's this - but I haven't been able to make it work. I tried the different combinations of Reference and Unit Values, to no avail.

Edited by Alain2131

I've figured it out.

I'm not sure what the timeshift does, but it's not what I need.
I need the shift node, with $C put into the Scroll Offset, and change the Units to Frames in the Common tab.
The shift node needs to be placed somewhere that has more than one channel (duh), and in my case under the math node was the correct location.
The behavior will the that the first channel will have 0 frame of offset, the second will have 1 frame of offset, the third will have 2 frames, and so on. If I would have left the Units in Seconds, it would be 0, 1, 2 seconds of offset. Makes sense, but I didn't know about that when asking the question.

Sooo, yeah, that's it ! Thanks for reading !

Edited by Alain2131

• Alain2131 changed the title to [SOLVED] Access channel number in CHOP for timeshift-ing purposes