OdForest

Height field on top of existing geometry?

Posted (edited)

Hi,

So I thought I should get to know height fields today, because I have modeled object on which I want to make a terrain with mountains.

So far as I understand it height fields are not 'real'; they are just visualisations of height based on the values of voxels on a 2D volume (slice).

Okay, but is it also possible to put these height fields onto a existing geometry that is not flat? Is height fields the way to go for something like that?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by that Abstract guy

13 hours ago, OdForest said:

Hi,

So I thought I should get to know height fields today, because I have modeled object on which I want to make a terrain with mountains.

So far as I understand it height fields are not 'real'; they are just visualisations of height based on the values of voxels on a 2D volume (slice).

Okay, but is it also possible to put these height fields onto a existing geometry that is not flat? Is height fields the way to go for something like that?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, yes it is possible for geometry shape like grid after mountain sop that is not flat. As you've mentioned heightfield is a volume and you can use an attribfromvolume node to get height value and set this value to Y position of geometry points.

height_to_geo.hipnc

• Thanks 1

Is it also possible when you have, say, a shape like this? Can you cut out what's in the height field grid which is not the same is this shape (from top view, I guess)? 

heightfield on such shape.hip

5ce11f85d24ad_Screenshot2019-05-19at11_17_36.png.0810236c42e8d382b82f931db37fc2e4.png

Thanks. I'm gonna buy a heightfield/terrain course then, seems worthy.

Would still like to know if you or anyone else found out how you can get rid of these spikes.

Thanks again. :) 

5ce6a2760d2fa_Screenshot2019-05-23at15_38_49.thumb.png.1d264dd1993ccaf14bf088b6d1112dd3.png