benne5

Compiled Block Nodes Usage

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the usage of the Compiled block nodes.  I have taken a look at the example in the documentation.  But, I am still confused about what scenarios you would want to use them in?  Could someone please describe when a user might use it and what the advantage is? 

Edited by benne5

One of the more common cases I have used them in is for importers and exporters. Generally when communicating with another package if you use python if becomes burdensome to dive between external python libraries, nodes, and python sops. This allows you to stream line the process in one language and cut back and forth. Also this saves you from needing to say cross between vex and python for an optimized operation. Python is way better at string management, however once you have constructed that string you may want to do a vex like function to it before you do another python function with that string. Saving you from jumping through multiple languages.

I'm using them to spawn millions and millions of instances for large environments. Without the compile blocks it takes much longer (like half an hour versus a minute or two).