plazadelmar

Vellum Cloth Crumple

Does someone know how to crumple cloth into let's say a ball in vellum?

Start with your cloth on the ground. Create a collision object around in then shrink it until you have the size of ball you want.

On 6/13/2019 at 1:19 AM, kleer001 said:

Start with your cloth on the ground. Create a collision object around in then shrink it until you have the size of ball you want.

After some experiments, I think the more natural effect could be achieved by changing rest length to a smaller value and use collider object to create a shape.

On 6/15/2019 at 12:36 AM, plazadelmar said:

After some experiments, I think the more natural effect could be achieved by changing rest length to a smaller value and use collider object to create a shape.

Oooh, that sounds clever too! Please post a pic of your results if you can.

12 minutes ago, kleer001 said:

Oooh, that sounds clever too! Please post a pic of your results if you can.

The very first test, not yet controlled but a good start.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Sweet! I was expecting a crumpled ball of paper, but a shirt is much more exciting.

My intuition tells me to animate the rest length down slowly to as small a number as possible, with some non-animated noise or slow noise based on rest position. I might just give it a shot myself. 

On 6/19/2019 at 10:00 PM, kleer001 said:

Sweet! I was expecting a crumpled ball of paper, but a shirt is much more exciting.

My intuition tells me to animate the rest length down slowly to as small a number as possible, with some non-animated noise or slow noise based on rest position. I might just give it a shot myself. 

A combination of animated restlength and your suggestion for collision object to get nice ball shape.

Screenshot_1.jpg

• Like 1

You might also try applicating a force towards the inverse normal direction, using SOP Solver inside DOPs or some POP wrangle. I did that successfully in the old pre- Vellum days to create a crumpling effect.

• Thanks 1

Here is a related thread, non-vellum.

• Thanks 1