bob_gnarly

Get Parent Expression

Hi everyone,

Silly question. I'm parenting a lot of Geometry objects to each other but I want to access the parent's attributes inside a SOP. As far as I can tell the best way is to use an Object_Merge node but I'm trying to avoid having to manually choose the parent object by name and wanted to know if there is an expression that will automatically find the parent object name? So I imagine (in my simple way) that there might be an expression that gets the Parent Object plugged into the input of the Child Object.

Thanks. Apologies for the simplicity but I've dug and dug and somehow I can't find any info.

Sounds like you should be working in a SOP construct if you need the attributes that much. 

`opinputpath("..",0)`/OUT

Just make sure you always have an OUT or similar designated output node. Otherwise you can go into python land find the display flag, but that is a whole different set of issues.

You can use __display_sop__ or __render_sop__ in the path instead of the name of a real surface node name to have Houdini use whatever node has the display flag or render flag.