Sign in to follow this  
SvenP

Wood

Hey everyone i just started writing a finished wood shader and i am still thinking about what kind of control is needed to make the shader as universal as possible for wood.

Heres what i came up with so far :

- modulation of the center of the wood

- modulation of the ring spacing

- modulation of the rings themselves

- woodgrain

- possibility to add cuts in the wood

- possibility to add branches

so if anyone finds something that i forgot please post it :D

(no surface properties like specularity for now because i plan to implement the brdf described in this paper Measuring and modelling the Apperance of Finished Wood after i nailed the overall wood look )

Sven

Hey SvenP,

That sounds like a good list to start with. As you know, the list will grow as you start to implement it. Maybe start with a translation of Larry's oakplank shader and add that paper's brdf later?

One tiny comment about that paper's brdf... it's nice, but it needs a very stable and smoothly varying local coordinate system (that shader is what prompted my "UV Gradient" thread a while back).

Sounds like a fun project! :)

I didnt have much time to continue working on the shader .

Anyway heres what i have so far just to keep the thread alive :P

post-535-1152555929_thumb.jpg

I didnt have much time to continue working on the shader .

Anyway heres what i have so far just to keep the thread alive :P

post-535-1152555929_thumb.jpg

The images in the paper look pretty damn good:) Good luck with the BRDF!

ok i added temporary diffuse shading because its quite hard to recognize anything from b&w pictures.

i also added the unfinished wood grain code this time.

if anyone has a nice object for test renders on his harddisk please feel free to help me out because i am really not the modeller kind of guy :blink:

post-535-1152562024_thumb.jpg

if anyone has a nice object for test renders on his harddisk please feel free to help me out because i am really not the modeller kind of guy :blink:

You might want to pick a model from: the Stanford Scanning Repository. Perhaps a wooden buddha?

ok i added temporary diffuse shading because its quite hard to recognize anything from b&w pictures.

i also added the unfinished wood grain code this time.

Hi SvenP,

could you share your vop network?

Hey,

I am also working on a wood shader, and that paper is really interesting. unfortunately my attempt seems to be a bit childish comparing to the rendered images there. anyway here is where i stand. it lacks any scientific approach, it's just look and try.

I found this test object in eetu's ubermaterial thread, it works well for me (look for the two metal examples, there is the scene file):

post-2183-124868936255_thumb.jpg

Edited by beeemtee