Bullet Impacts

MIguel P

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm dieing to play with the newer version.

I'm using Houdini 8... but for some reason I'm not getting all the controls... just the "Controls" tab on my main parameters.

I dont see "Gun, Geo, Dust, Debris" (as shown in your jpg) ....is it buried somewhere I'm not seeing? I'm very new to Houdini

Right now I have the bullet impats project stopped. I started again the whole tool improving it a lot. I'll post here the otl and more videos when I finish it.

Thanks for your interest!

I'm sorry, ignore my previous post about not seeing all the extra goodness you have on the OTL..... I was looking at the old one... DUH!

However... I get an error loading it too....

Bad node type found: locknormals in /obj/impacts1/impacts/particles

Bad node type found: locknormals in /obj/impacts1/impacts/particles1

Bad node type found: normalscam in /obj/impacts1/impacts

Bad node type found: gun in /obj/impacts/Gun

I know you said you were done working on this... .but I'm really close to getting this to work for a shot i need to deliver..... do those errors above sound normal? I'm using H8

Thanks for your patience Miguel

Those errors are because I used some otl's I made (gun, locknormals and normalscam) inside the main otl. If it works (I don't know, I can't check it now), I think you won't have any problem.

If you use the tool at the end to do that shot, please show it! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Miguel-

I don`t suppose there is a readme or a sample hip available for context?

As best i can tell the otl loads fine-but its a little unclear how to introduce the different

elements of the setup.

Going back over this thread-some of the oldest links are no longer valid-so if one was provided

it maybe gone now...

Also not sure if this is a v8 setup now or a v9 setup.

Many thanks for your effort.

Edited by rconover

Hi Miguel-

I don`t suppose there is a readme or a sample hip available for context?

As best i can tell the otl loads fine-but its a little unclear how to introduce the different

elements of the setup.

Going back over this thread-some of the oldest links are no longer valid-so if one was provided

it maybe gone now...

Also not sure if this is a v8 setup now or a v9 setup.

Many thanks for your effort.

You're right. I'll upload an example file later with a simple setup.

Hi Miguel-

I think I found a contributing factor-for the holes.

The Displaced_Geo-Displaced Holes node.

The end value loads at 0-if its set to 8 all the displaced holes

work now. I couldn`t find a parameter in the otl which corresponds to this...

Also-

If a playback is done i see a bit of an odd refresh

where your noise seems to displace both the surrounding (subdiv areas) and the rest of the wall

while the holes are being formed (frames 1-64).

After the last hole hits it refreshes to smooth (except for the desired `hole noise effect`) aka frame 65.

So basically frame 65 and after i think the effect looks the way you had intended it to.

Its kewleo none the less. Hope this helps you solve the mystery.

Edited by rconover

Yes, the refreshing is a bit odd. Of course you can't play it backwards because it uses particles. And if you play it foward, better reproduce it frame per frame. I don't know how to fix this. Maybe it has something to do with chops or the otl, I'm not sure, but I think it's not that bad.

I didn't use the dust shader from my site. I used another one I made more recently. You can find it attached in one of my posts from this thread: http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=5491&st=12

• 5 months later...

Hi Miguel

Awesome work! Such a nice 'plugin' to Houdini. :D

I have one problem when I play with it, I am trying to set up the shooting time at frame 103, but doesn't work, looks like there is a loop every 100 frames. I can only set up the shooting time from 1 to 100 frames.

Need you some help~ hehe :lol:

Cheers!

This is a great forum for Houdini~

Hi Miguel

Awesome work! Such a nice 'plugin' to Houdini. :D

I have one problem when I play with it, I am trying to set up the shooting time at frame 103, but doesn't work, looks like there is a loop every 100 frames. I can only set up the shooting time from 1 to 100 frames.

Need you some help~ hehe :lol:

Cheers!

This is a great forum for Houdini~

Thanks, I'm glad you like it :)

Oh, I forgot to add a control for that.

What you have to do is dive into the asset, go to the "particle_system" obj node and in the Line SOP at the top of the node tree change the number of points of the line and put the number of frames your scene has. It is set to 100 by default. As I said, I forgot to add a parameter.

great! get it ! thanks! you are genius :thumbsup:

I just found another strange thing, right at frame 103 again...oh... your otl doesn't like me.haha :P

the aim position of the gun automaticlly offsets to somewhere along x-axes, I dive into the asset/ gun/, and found out the value of x-axes at translate tab changed to linear(). I dunno why, but I fixed it by hand.

Anyway, this is a great otl you really should put this to the sidefx exchange. or, you wanna add more functions?

Cheers

• 10 years later...