lemoncaptcha

Ocean Foam Camera Emit H17.5

Hi All,

Beginner here. I have a scene here with an infinite ocean set up (not shelf) and I want to add foam. I want it to emit along the camera movement, so I set region type to camera. But, it seems like the foam would not generate if the camera is too close or at too low of an angle. When I change camera angle, it emits properly. I've messed around with Z clipping distance, but it doesn't seems to be the issue. Does anyone have any idea?

ocean_foam.hipnc

Hi, I just tried with your hipfile and everything seems to be regular, so you did nothing wrong. 

The issue is inside the oceanfoam node. In particular how is calculating the density of the foam. In a wrangle (calc_camera_density) is calculated an attribute called @density. If this attribute is zero, also the foam generated in the following nodes will be zero.

So why the density is zero? Without bothering you will all the mathematical  operations... everything is because when you have your camera really low in ocean there are some "degenerated" polygons generated internally that have an area of 0.

To fix this, just put a clean node inside the ocean foam tool, after "clip at near". See the hip file I have attached. 

Strangely this doesn't happens in H17.

ocean_foam_fix.hipnc

Edited by Andrea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the support. 

I wonder if this is a common issue for ocean surfacing? Anyways, thank you for the clear explanation.

Cheers,

I don't think is intentional, that's a bug and should not happen. Maybe some nodes changed a little bit and caused this

Edited by Andrea

On 02/08/2019 at 5:04 AM, Andrea said:

Hi, I just tried with your hipfile and everything seems to be regular, so you did nothing wrong. 

The issue is inside the oceanfoam node. In particular how is calculating the density of the foam. In a wrangle (calc_camera_density) is calculated an attribute called @density. If this attribute is zero, also the foam generated in the following nodes will be zero.

So why the density is zero? Without bothering you will all the mathematical  operations... everything is because when you have your camera really low in ocean there are some "degenerated" polygons generated internally that have an area of 0.

To fix this, just put a clean node inside the ocean foam tool, after "clip at near". See the hip file I have attached. 

Strangely this doesn't happens in H17.

ocean_foam_fix.hipnc

Can't believe no one has fixed that even in latest 18.5 build. Thanks for the tip

• Like 1