Custom AOV with V-Ray ?

Hey people,

Quick and simple question : anyone figured out how to setup and render a custom aov / render channel in Vray for Houdini ?

I've been trying things but I can't for the life of me find how to do it. I'm beginning to think it's just not possible, and that would spell doom for the renderer which is otherwise quite okay as far as I'm concerned.

Would you put that into the shader ? It doesn't seem to acknowledge the render channel in the VFB when I do so...

On the other hand, putting it into the Render Element Network generated by the ROP prevents us from linking it to branches of shaders, with the intended purpose obivously being to reproduce the behaviour of the other renderer : export result of a portion of the shader to parameter / render parameter as AOV

Of course, I lost contact with my computer and I can't manipulate remotely to test and check some more...

A brief talk with a friend and colleague hinted that I was maybe not using the right words.

Best to illustrate I guess :

image.thumb.png.59f8c02cd47c7cb8ff77545fcab5c5f4.png

funny enough, the friend told me it's super easy in Maya : just blend all branches from all shaders into one extraTex \o/

Well, I have no idea how to do that in Houdini for once ( add an output to the material container ? then at the root of /MAT/ blend all the new output and plug it into an extraTex ? Still, how do I bring that to the list of render channels ? It's very painful with 40+ materials, isn't it ? :D ) ... Why can't it just automatically pick up that I added a "pattern" output intended to be rendered into a separate AOV just like the other renderers? :D

Yeah, just saw a topic asking for exactly that on their forums. I swear it wasn't there when I decided to ask here myself ( since I can't post over there, weird, weird rules, Chaosgroup ! )

So basically what should be a very basic feature isn't really available yet - the op/: path method is a workaround but it's not convenient at all to say the least :D Kinda screw up my project, looks like I'll have to make an emergency landing on Arnold's highway :/

Thanks anyway !

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/08/2019 at 11:07 PM, Wolrajh said:

since I can't post over there, weird, weird rules, Chaosgroup ! 

Haha, well, marketing guys promised they'll try to think of something.

As to the custom AOVs - it's now supported. You can even isolate the AOV to specific primitives inside an instance hierarchy(e.g. agents) using attributes. We kind of forgot about it, and nobody asked during the Beta.

All the best!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 30/08/2019 at 2:52 PM, Georgie said:

Haha, well, marketing guys promised they'll try to think of something.

As to the custom AOVs - it's now supported. You can even isolate the AOV to specific primitives inside an instance hierarchy(e.g. agents) using attributes. We kind of forgot about it, and nobody asked during the Beta.

All the best!

Thanks for that!

Unfortunately my trial now expired so I can't go and test anymore :/ Maybe I will ask the company to grab the Houdini plugin one of these days. Sure sounds weird nobody asked during the beta, IMHO AoVs are a pretty big thing when doing rendering !

Guess you're from the dev team then ? Well thanks for taking the time to come back here, it's really appreciated. Don't let those marketing guys get in the way though :D

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

are you getting them from the stable nightlies build? if you download it from the website you won't get any of that I don't think. This was released sometime in March/April this year,

You are definitely in an old build - I can tell because of your icons 

Edited by Sepu

well, I see what you say. However, I went to Chaos Group website and downloaded 17.5.293 (Qt5). And this is what I got. There is no much choice in terms of builds or anything. Or is there any other "secret" location where they have "up to date" builds?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it, you just have to click a + button in the Parameters...

hey, I'm back with this so I'm using the latest build from nightlies - it looks different now indeed (icons), even thou there was no indication of it being a different build. Anyways, still no AOV slots... anybody?

Capture.PNG.23099419c875e3fcb72319b644788f98.PNG

Edited by davpe

• 3 months later...

and I'm back once again! :)

please, good people, how can you export standard aovs? like diffuse contribution, reflections... that kind of stuff?

there is something called Render elements on the ROP node, and a button that generates another network in ROP context but I have no idea how to use it and how to display it in Render view or vray framebuffer? there is zero info on this in docs how that's supposed to work.

thanks for any hints.

D.