Sign in to follow this  
isah_voodoo

solver particle inherit Cd

Hello,

I am trying to shoot particles at a red object. When the particles move through the red object, I want the particles to turn red as well. 

An attribute transfer will not work on its own since the particles will eventually move away from the threshold radius. So I am trying to work with a solver.

I think I understand the basic concept of how a solver works, but for some reason, my particles don't move when I hook everything up. I must be missing something here.

I was reading up on solver on cg wiki : http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=The_solver_sop

The example "Transfer pop colour onto geometry" is pretty much what I want but opposite. Instead of the grid inheriting the particles color, I want the opposite (particles inheriting the grid color). 

When I switch things around inside, I still get the same problem. I am going mad 

I will attach my scene file for anyone that wants to take a look.

Thank you. 

solver_particles_cd.hipnc

@SepuThank you Sepu for the file. Even though I wasn't aware of the pop stream node (which looks to be very useful), I was hoping to find a solution without having to go into a particle network. I wanted to understand the solver a little more . I thought this would be a perfect problem for a solver but from what I understand it is more complicated than it looks.

I appreciate the help

On 04.09.2019 at 8:23 AM, isah_voodoo said:

Hello,

I am trying to shoot particles at a red object. When the particles move through the red object, I want the particles to turn red as well. 

An attribute transfer will not work on its own since the particles will eventually move away from the threshold radius. So I am trying to work with a solver.

I think I understand the basic concept of how a solver works, but for some reason, my particles don't move when I hook everything up. I must be missing something here.

I was reading up on solver on cg wiki : http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=The_solver_sop

The example "Transfer pop colour onto geometry" is pretty much what I want but opposite. Instead of the grid inheriting the particles color, I want the opposite (particles inheriting the grid color). 

When I switch things around inside, I still get the same problem. I am going mad 

I will attach my scene file for anyone that wants to take a look.

Thank you. 

solver_particles_cd.hipnc

Hello,

this example gives you solution with solver if it is still needed.

solver_particles_cd_01.hipnc