wudangzhenren

The little things about houdini

Houdini is very good for advanced 3d tasks,but sometimes you will find it lacking many basic functions.Those little things will slow down our process.from a c4d user and motion designer’s perspective ,I really hope houdini will pay attention to those little things.

01.permanent autosave option.i know there is a script,but you should really give user the option to turn it on or off natively in houdini.

02.a little icon showing the project has changed,and you haven’t saved,in c4d it’s a * .

03.Hip file preview thumbnail.this will be a lifesaver,please,please.

04.drag and drop support.again,there is a python script,but you know.

05.multi-window support.when I want to open more than one project at the same time,it’s so annoying to start another houdini.

06.the curve node.it really needs some big improvement,the functions now are so limited.you can’t even select multi points at a time,it’s miles away from c4d’s spline module.

07.the font sop.houdini’s fonts manager is very outdated,you can’t scroll up and down,the font does not have a preview.

08.the ui.maybe a more modern and flat version?i don’t know,I just feel it’s not so intuitive now.

Those little things will have great value for motion designers,if houdini wants to attract more c4d users,please pay attention to the details.

Sorry for my English.what’s your opinion?

• Like 1

I've been using Houdini for over 20 years. You? What I mean is, have you spent long enough working in Houdini to get used to it?

These are just my opinions.

01. If it can be easily changed with a line of code in the 123.py then it doesn't need to be hard coded in the gui.

02. You say project a few times. That's not the terminology. It's a hip file, or document. The project is part of the hierarchy that contains a directory for hip files along with other directories. But yes, a "*" next to the file name saying it hasn't been saved after the latest change would be great. You should submit an RFE for that. I bet other people have.

03. Preview of what? A view of the network? Which network? The last render? Which render? Where would the preview go?

04. Nah. Why? Cross platform drag and drop is sketchy. If you can do it with a script then you already have it. Importing with a file SOP is reliable.

05. It's not annoying to open another Houdini. I do it all the time. These aren't web browser tabs. If you want to work across a bunch of hips consider putting them in the same hip file or building digital assets.

06. The curve SOP? The draw curve shelf tool? What's missing? You can absolutely select multiple points.

07. Yes, the Font SOP kind sucks, but it's bare bones and works. Houdini is not a text editor or a vector design tool. If you need something fancier then do it in Photoshop, Gimp, illustrator, or Inkscape then import it as an eps or ai or exr or png or whatever.

08. Yea, the gui customization could use a tool for tweaking it, but I'd put that way on the bottom of the list. Houdini Dark/Light/Pro is kinda lame. But it works well enough for me and keeps too many people from sliding down the endless rabbit hole of pointless gui customization. And sure, the gradients are a little funky, but whatever.

• Like 4

HOUDINI IT'S the BEST VECTOR PROGRAM  ( including )...in my opinion :wub:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kleer001 said:

I've been using Houdini for over 20 years. You? What I mean is, have you spent long enough working in Houdini to get used to it?

These are just my opinions.

01. If it can be easily changed with a line of code in the 123.py then it doesn't need to be hard coded in the gui.

02. You say project a few times. That's not the terminology. It's a hip file, or document. The project is part of the hierarchy that contains a directory for hip files along with other directories. But yes, a "*" next to the file name saying it hasn't been saved after the latest change would be great. You should submit an RFE for that. I bet other people have.

03. Preview of what? A view of the network? Which network? The last render? Which render? Where would the preview go?

04. Nah. Why? Cross platform drag and drop is sketchy. If you can do it with a script then you already have it. Importing with a file SOP is reliable.

05. It's not annoying to open another Houdini. I do it all the time. These aren't web browser tabs. If you want to work across a bunch of hips consider putting them in the same hip file or building digital assets.

06. The curve SOP? The draw curve shelf tool? What's missing? You can absolutely select multiple points.

07. Yes, the Font SOP kind sucks, but it's bare bones and works. Houdini is not a text editor or a vector design tool. If you need something fancier then do it in Photoshop, Gimp, illustrator, or Inkscape then import it as an eps or ai or exr or png or whatever.

08. Yea, the gui customization could use a tool for tweaking it, but I'd put that way on the bottom of the list. Houdini Dark/Light/Pro is kinda lame. But it works well enough for me and keeps too many people from sliding down the endless rabbit hole of pointless gui customization. And sure, the gradients are a little funky, but whatever.

For old hardcore vfx user,these little things maybe are not a deal.But for motion designers or new users,that means a lot.I’m talking attract more regular people,not coding genius.

Edited by wudangzhenren
  • Like 1