Heraklit

Avoid too heavy FLIP pull effect

Hey hey, 

I'm working on a shot where a car is sinking into a pool. The Thing is that ist pulling quite a bit of fluid with it while sinking what makes the water Level appear lower. Do you have some idea how to avout getting too much of a pull down effect with collision objects sinking? 

Or lets put it like that: when the collision object moves under water it Looks like ist draining a lot of fluid into Nirvana so the water Level is sinking. I don't know why. There is no fluid leaking into the coll object, not loosing particles. A big object under water shouldnt make the water Level sink. 

one quick test is to check your scene scale, if your scene scale is not realistic (i.e. your car size is the size of football stadium, you might get such an effect)...

FLIP doesn't preserve volume. Adjust the separation parameters on the solver like the separation scale to get what you're looking for. Other solvers like SPH do preserve volume but SPH is slower.

• Like 1

do you mean increasing the separation scale? if so, this could produce also bloppy surface?

The scale is Right, thats not the prob. Actually never ever used the sph solver in houdini. Maybe I'll give it a try. 

Setting the Grid Scale to 1, it defaults to 2, helps preserve volume.

Under Volume Motion/Collision tab try setting the Velocity Scale to 0.

car_splash.gif

ap_flip_car_drop.hiplc

Edited by Atom

Alright, I'll try the grid scale as well. But ist not falling into the pool, ist sinking. Also the car is quite big compared to the pool. So ist pulling a lot of fluid with it.