NNenov

Cube grids with no interior faces

Hi, I was messing around with 3D grids of boxes in the past, as well as low res volumes/vdb but I never figured out how to generate "boxy" volumes, or box grids with interior faces removed, making a compound shape with no interor geometry.

Is this generally difficult to achieve? I think my main problem is terminology and difficulty to accurately search for help on the topic. So any help will be appreciated as I try to dive back in!

My last attempt was making basic cellular automata with cubes, it gets very heavy if you output a high res grid with all the interior box faces, which you never see anyway.

Thanks,

Nik

Hi Srletak, sorry I think you misunderstood me, I already have a cellular automata setup, my problem is generating clean geometry with no interior points/faces, e.g.

Clipboard01.jpg

Would you mean a Box with primitve type in "polygon mesh" or "mesh" mode ?

my approach was to use copytopoints, copying a box in Polygon mode, but I am not committed to this, since it yields boxes for every voxel, many interior faces, I'm just curious what is an effective approach to just mesh the surface of a voxel grid

12 hours ago, NNenov said:

my approach was to use copytopoints, copying a box in Polygon mode, but I am not committed to this, since it yields boxes for every voxel, many interior faces, I'm just curious what is an effective approach to just mesh the surface of a voxel grid

no interior points/faces

pic_001.thumb.png.f85bcc83bb9d7e6e58d79314864d5119.png

or use VDB Visualize Tree SOP

pic_002.thumb.png.3e3fe5b560890d3f056ca9195fc3eb6c.png

vdb_visualizetree.hipnc

11 hours ago, ThomasPara said:

Heres a simple try, i dont know what speeds you want. Its a copy inside this one aswell

box_volume_01.hip

vol_box.gif

Thank you Thomas, this seems to work perfectly but I have no idea whats happening in your wrangles, I'll definitely spend some time studying your code. Great!

10 hours ago, vicvvsh said:

no interior points/faces

pic_001.thumb.png.f85bcc83bb9d7e6e58d79314864d5119.png

or use VDB Visualize Tree SOP

pic_002.thumb.png.3e3fe5b560890d3f056ca9195fc3eb6c.png

vdb_visualizetree.hipnc

Thanks vicvvsh, this sort of works but it creates interior geometry, and furthermore the leaf nodes don't seem to align to the point centers:

image.thumb.png.fd0df3d05f80a8b0abc54ccffa34ab1b.png