Houdini 19 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

I dont know, if there is something similar:
In Softimage you could press middle mousbutton on a Menu, to repeat the last action in that menu.
That was almost everywhere possible and saved quite often some seconds and made the workflow super smooth.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2020 at 3:45 PM, sant0s81 said:

I dont know, if there is something similar:
In Softimage you could press middle mousbutton on a Menu, to repeat the last action in that menu.
That was almost everywhere possible and saved quite often some seconds and made the workflow super smooth.

Indeed that was very useful but honestly I don't see many menus in Houdini

10 minutes ago, NNois said:

Indeed that was very useful but honestly I don't see many menus in Houdini

Yea, true - but MMB could be used for something else :D
I often had a situation - of course I dont remember any now - where I though, now the MMB would be awesome. :)

My wishlist
* Multi-threaded CHOPS
* Extra nodes in shops such as channel compression (just mule audio waves compression in music), i believe in touchdesigner it already exists.
* Better built in code editor
* an extra full non procedural modeling system
* Bringing COPS up to level with NUKE/Fusion
* Better FLIP control for small scenes
* Better documentation with more explanations where its needed of example files when applicable
* Better hair frizz and bend methods (quick go go crazy)
* Better hair clumping node (with more control to not let it start from the absolute root)

that being said, sideFX prob came up with stuff I didn't even know i needed : ) 

• Like 3

@sant0s81 there are some options, probably not exactly what you want, unfortunately:

1) add the "dot" on the line (alt click on the line), then color the dot (btw you can alt click the dot, to make it persistent)

or

2) colour the inputs inside the subnetwork

image.png.7d92e869a9d49c3664420bba90dc087d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, ikoon said:

@sant0s81 there are some options, probably not exactly what you want, unfortunately:

1) add the "dot" on the line (alt click on the line), then color the dot (btw you can alt click the dot, to make it persistent)

or

image.png.7d92e869a9d49c3664420bba90dc087d.png

nice tips, thanks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ikoon said:

or

Thx, thats perfect! :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a Houdini Newbie but here is my wishlist:

-Network Rendering for Indie Using Octane and Redshift - I am not sure if this process is already in place but it is extremely complicated - it should be easy to set up a 3 machine network rendering with 1 indie license using octane or redshift.   I find that a lot of people are exporting to c4d in alembic for render because many limitations of houdini workflow. 

-Highlight the parameters that have been changed from the default - sometimes there is like a checkbox that is not checked that messes everything up.  it would be great to know the parameters that have been changed from the default it would make the learning process easier 

-I would consider implementing. a better UI -  such as cables that tell you that if the flow is primitive or points or vertex.

- I would figure out if there is a way of copy pasting a code in a a forum post that if you copy and paste it at the object level it creates all the nodes with their respective information this would make it easier to share things - look at how this is done in vvvv or maxmsp

- stop having like 6 versions of houdini, it is counter productive. Just one version if someone else has limits they can't render out. 

- create a houdini mograph since they are going nodes we can go more c4d  

9 hours ago, seba said:

I am a Houdini Newbie but here is my wishlist:

-Network Rendering for Indie Using Octane and Redshift - I am not sure if this process is already in place but it is extremely complicated - it should be easy to set up a 3 machine network rendering with 1 indie license using octane or redshift.   I find that a lot of people are exporting to c4d in alembic for render because many limitations of houdini workflow. 

-Highlight the parameters that have been changed from the default - sometimes there is like a checkbox that is not checked that messes everything up.  it would be great to know the parameters that have been changed from the default it would make the learning process easier 

-I would consider implementing. a better UI -  such as cables that tell you that if the flow is primitive or points or vertex.

- I would figure out if there is a way of copy pasting a code in a a forum post that if you copy and paste it at the object level it creates all the nodes with their respective information this would make it easier to share things - look at how this is done in vvvv or maxmsp

- stop having like 6 versions of houdini, it is counter productive. Just one version if someone else has limits they can't render out. 

- create a houdini mograph since they are going nodes we can go more c4d  

Hi Seba

You can already filter parameters based on what is NOT default already.
In the right top of your node you can click on that search glass, then on the left a drop-down appears where you can select "non default values"

As for mograph, did you already look at MOPS?
That's like mograph for Houdini.
https://www.motionoperators.com/

Da Costa

- Change network grid point positions to round values, so hou.node.position() will return (1.0, 1.0) if node is snapped to grid instead of current (1.5, 1.85)

- Do not let newly created nodes change current nodes' position

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 12:50 AM, seba said:

there is no such thing as separate primitive, points or vertex flow through connection. In SOP there is always all possible data flowing through them. That's main difference from how, for example, maya nodes work.

But Houdini already uses colorcodes for connections where possible - constraints in SOP. In DOPs too.

On 14.09.2020 at 11:50 PM, seba said:

Versions being split between Apprentice(non-commercial), Indie, Core and FX is not counter productive and does make sense if you look at it from a financial standpoint. 

If you just need a version of Houdini to mess around with and practice, the free Apprentice version is perfect. 

If you work at a small studio or a freelancer who doesn't earn more than $100k a year, the more affordable Indie version is for you.

If you don't need to be able to modify or create DOPs but do anything else, Houdini Core, which costs only half of what a FX license does, gets the job done.

If you need everything Houdini has to offer, in a mid-sized/large studio, only then you need to reach deep into your wallet and get the full FX license which costs around $5k+ without the annual upgrade plan.

Imagine every artist would have to buy a full FX license regardless of what they actually do in Houdini or how much they earn. Sounds like a sure way to lose a sizable chunk of paying customers and in turn get more pirates.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

now that we can resize scene view panel individually, it would be wonderful to lock views to specific node in the same network

let's say I am doing some animation with some blend shapes and I have to add a new pose with a bend sop. 
Locking  a view to the specific node can help to look at my anim in a panel with the object not in place (animated), while modifying the new pose in the original position using handles of the tool currently in use without going crazy. 

one more note, the red alert for the camera is cool but not enough. I still move the camera for error even if that menu is turned on.
we need a cool system for camera history undos ; )

• Marc locked this topic